A look at the top large high school football teams in Middle Tennessee, as ranked by the USA Today Sports Network for Middle Tennessee. Large schools consist of teams from Class 4A, Class 5A, Class 6A and Division II-AA.
1. Brentwood Academy (4-1) — The defending state champion Eagles limited Baylor to less than 100 yards of offense in their 35-0 rout of the previously unbeaten Red Raiders. Last week: No. 1. This week: Bye.
2. Oakland (4-0) — The Patriots, whose average margin of victory this season has been 38.2 points, blasted crosstown rival Blackman 38-0 behind quarterback Brendan Matthews’ five-touchdown performance. Last week: No. 2. This week: Friday at Coffee County.
3. MBA (4-1) — Tennessee commitment Ty Chandler racked up 194 yards and five touchdowns on a season-high 25 carries in Friday’s 42-27 win over visiting McCallie. Last week: No. 3. This week: Friday at Father Ryan.
4. Independence (5-0) — The defending Class 5A champion Eagles’ defense has been in top form in recent weeks, limiting its past three opponents to a combined 28 points. Last week: No. 4. This week: Bye.
5. Smyrna (4-1) — MTSU commitment John Turner got back on track Friday, tossing four touchdown passes in the Bulldogs’ 49-0 win at Warren County. Last week: No. 5. This week: Friday at Siegel.
6. Cane Ridge (5-0) — The Ravens remained unbeaten by stopping a two-point conversion attempt as time expired Friday at Beech. Last week: No. 6. This week: Friday at Hillsboro.
7. Franklin (4-1) — The Rebels, led by Mitch Rossi’s two-touchdown performance, reeled off 14-unanswered fourth-quarter points to claim their first win over Ravenwood since 2010. Last week: No. 7. This week: Bye.
8. Ensworth (3-2) — Tigers junior Nicky Clifton, who missed the first three games with an injury, has rushed for a combined 299 yards and three scores in his first two appearances this season. Last week: No. 8. This week: Friday at CPA.
9. Marshall County (5-0) — The Tigers, led by sophomore quarterback Bryce Wallace, have won their past three games by a combined score of 141-24. Last week: No. 9. This week: Friday at Stratford.
10. Wilson Central (5-0) — The Wildcats, off to their best start since 2012, remained unbeaten with Friday’s 48-21 triumph over Region 2-6A foe McGavock. Last week: No. 10. This week: Friday vs. Mt. Juliet.