A look at the top small high school football teams in Middle Tennessee as ranked by the USA Today Sports network. Small schools consist of teams from Class 1A, Class 2A, Class 3A and Division II-A.
1. Stratford (8-0): The Spartans can clinch the top seed from Region 5-3A with a win over Whites Creek on Friday. Last week: 1. This week: Friday vs. Whites Creek.
2. Fairview (8-0): The Yellow Jackets have scored at least 40 points in four consecutive games but may need to win both of their final two games to secure the Region 6-3A title. Last week: 2. This week: Friday at Camden.
3. Waverly (8-1): After allowing a total of three points over their past two games, the Tigers have two weeks to prepare for the Region 5-2A championship game against Decatur County-Riverside. Last week: 3. This week: Idle.
4. Forrest (8-0): The Rockets are allowing fewer than eight points per game and can clinch the top seed from Region 4-2A with a win on Friday. Last week: 4. This week: Friday at Eagleville.
5. Watertown (7-1): The Purple Tigers eclipsed the 50-point mark for the third time this season in Friday’s rout of East Robertson. Last week: 5. This week: Friday vs. Community.
6. Christ Presbyterian Academy (3-5): The Lions have won back-to-back games for the first time this season and still could earn a home playoff game. Last week: 6. This week: Friday at Goodpasture.
7. Nashville Christian (6-2): The Eagles continued their region dominance with a 40-7 rout of Gordonsville, piling up 509 total yards in the process. Last week: 7. This week: Friday at Middle Tennessee Christian.
8. Wayne County (8-0): The Wildcats, who have limited their past three opponents to a total of 13 points, can clinch the postseason top spot from Region 6-1A with a win on Friday. Last week: 8. This week: Friday at Huntingdon.
9. Goodpasture (6-2): The Cougars bounced back from a one-point loss to unbeaten Stratford and likely earned a playoff berth by shutting out visiting East Nashville on Friday.Last week: 9. This week: Friday vs. Christ Presbyterian Academy.
10. Donelson Christian Academy (6-2): The Wildcats bounced back from back-to-back losses by limiting Friendship Christian to 139 total yards Friday. Last week: 10. This week: Friday vs Davidson Academy.
Reach Craig Harris at 615-259-8238 and on Twitter @CHTennessean.
- The Tennessean’s top performers from Week 9
- Scoreboard: High school football scores from Week 9
- Photos: High school football, Week 9
- Kreager: Game stopped when fan confronts referee
- Game of the Week: Centennial wears down Brentwood in 27-17 win
- Top games: Shelbyville outlasts Stewarts Creek 49-47
- Week 9: How Middle Tennessee’s Top 10 large schools fared
- Week 9: How Middle Tennessee’s Top 10 small schools fared
MOST POPULAR STORIES