lohud volleyball rankings
1. Panas (11-0, last week: 1) — Panas won its host tournament, the Panther Invitational, for the second consecutive year Saturday. The Panthers beat a field that included four other lohud-ranked teams, going undefeated in the process.
2. Pawling (11-0, last week: 4) — A volleyball scout said a few weeks back that Pawling was the second-best overall team in the section. It appears he was right. The state-ranked Tigers are the only other undefeated team in the section and reached the semifinals Saturday.
3. Yorktown (13-1, last week: 2) — The Huskers topped a Zoe Staats-less Hen Hud team Thursday, then lost to the Sailors in a one-game playoff Saturday. I’ll take the four-set win over a one-game playoff. Yorktown has been spectacular all season, so having it plummet from that loss would be foolish.
4. Ossining (11-1, last week: 6) — The Pride have not won a section title since 2004, but that could change this year. Ossining spent most of its time in Class A over the last decade, but being back in Class AA — where it won 12 years ago — could be just what the team needed to break the streak. Ossining won the Pelham tournament Saturday, adding to its already impressive resume for the season.
5. Ursuline (10-2, last week: 3) — The Koalas’ two losses this year (New Rochelle, Pelham) have both come via a sweep, but they only lost by a total of 14 points over the course of those six sets. There is no clear-cut front-runner in Class AA this year, so Ursuline is very much in contention to win it all.
RANKINGS: Nothing like the preseason (Week 1)
RANKINGS: ‘O,’ you better believe in Ossining (Week 2)
RANKINGS: Panas running away with top spot (Week 3)
RANKINGS: Unbeaten Tappan Zee makes its debut in Top 10 (Week 4)
RANKINGS: League foes Rye, Ardsley debut in Top 10 (Week 5)
6. Hen Hud (9-3, last week: 7) — An injury to one of the Sailors’ best players (Staats) could have been an irreparable blow to the team. Instead, Hen Hud battled for four sets with Yorktown on Thursday, reached the Panther Invitational quarterfinals Saturday (after beating Yorktown to get there), and nearly knocked off eventual finalist Smithtown East as a 7-seed. That grit is a testament to the culture Hall of Fame coach Diane Swertfager has created during her time in Montrose.
7. Nyack (12-1, last week: 5) — The Indians suffered their first loss of the season Thursday, falling to Tappan Zee in four grueling sets, 24-26, 25-21, 26-24, 25-23. Nyack had handed the Dutchies their first loss just one week prior. Nyack failed to qualify for the championship bracket Saturday, posting a 3-3 record in pool play after splitting with Minisink and getting swept by Yorktown.
8. Pelham (10-3, last week: 9) — The Pelicans are on a rampage right now, beating Eastchester, New Rochelle, Ursuline, and Rye over their last four matches.
9. Rye (8-4, last week: 8) — Weeks after beating Pelham in five sets, the Pelicans returned the favor to the Garnets. The loss snapped an eight-match winning streak by Rye, but is hardly enough to drop the Garnets out of the Top 10.
10. New Rochelle (9-4, last week: N/R) — The Huguenots make their Top 10 debut after a solid showing through the six weeks of the season that included wins over Ursuline and defending Class AA section champ Scarsdale. Three of New Rochelle’s losses have come at the hands of ranked teams (Ossining, Nyack, Pelham), and its fourth was against a team (Scarsdale) that was ranked at the time of the loss.
Dropped out: Ardsley (8-5, last week: 10)
On the bubble: Ardsley, Eastchester, North Rockland, Scarsdale, Tappan Zee
Class AA — 1. Ossining, 2. Ursuline, 3. New Rochelle, 4. Scarsdale, 5. North Rockland, 6. Fox Lane, 7. Horace Greeley, 8. John Jay-East Fishkill, 9. Arlington, 10. Suffern
Class A — 1. Panas, 2. Yorktown, 3. Hen Hud, 4. Nyack, 5. Pelham, 6. Rye, 7. Tappan Zee, 8. Eastchester, 9. John Jay, 10. Harrison
Class B — 1. Westlake, 2. Ardsley, 3. Lourdes, 4. Putnam Valley, 5. Valhalla, 6. Irvington, 7. Briarcliff, 8. Nanuet, 9. Blind Brook, 10. Rye Neck
Class C — 1. Pawling, 2. Haldane, 3. Dobbs Ferry, 4. North Salem, 5. Keio