Strait Herron of South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.) was named the Army Bowl National Coach of the Year at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Awards Show on Friday in San Antonio.
Herron led the Stallions to a 15-0 record, the South Carolina 4A state title and the No. 6 spot in the final Super 25 Expert Rankings. South Pointe beat Hartsville (S.C.) 38-14 in the SCHSL 4A final.
He will be on the sidelines as an East Team defensive coach for the 2018 Army All-American Bowl on Saturday.
Herron was selected from among six finalists, five of which who led their teams to final Super 25 Rankings.
- Straight Herron, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
- Gabe Infante, St. Joseph’s (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Eric Kasperowicz, Pine-Richland (Gibsonia, Pa.)
- Mike Kirshner, Ben Davis (Indianapolis, Ind.)
- Bruce Rollinson, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
- Patrick Surtain, American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)