The St. Xavier boys’ basketball team, ranked No. 18 in the preseason coaches’ poll, dealt visiting Covington Catholic its first loss of the season 87-78 Friday night.
The win was the fifth in a row for the Tigers (5-1).
Robert Shaw scored a game-high 30 points and dished out nine assists. Brock Kiesler had a double-double with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Covington Catholic (6-1) was led by Nick Ruthsatz with 27 points.
* Male 58, Fern Creek 52: Trailing 43-39 heading into the fourth quarter, the visiting Bulldogs (3-0) outscored the Tigers (0-7) in the final frame.
Fern Creek was led by Deon Wemberly’s 16 points, and Joe Jackson scored 12.
* Valley 68, Portland Christian 66 (OT): Jacob Mills poured in 20 points to lead the host Vikings (5-2) over the Eagles (1-4) in overtime.
Joseph Basel finished with only six points but hit the game-winning jumper with 3.8 seconds left in overtime. Portland Christian was led by Trenton Scroggy with 22 points.
* North Bullitt 44, Holy Cross 40: The host Eagles (4-3) got 14 points from Jalen Ratliff and downed the Cougars (0-6).
Holy Cross’ Jack Schmitt led all scorers with 15 points.
* Jeffersontown 65, Manual 50: Moe Hendricks exploded for a game-high 27 points to lead the visiting Chargers (2-4) over the Crimson (3-3).
Manual was led by Dwayne Sutton with 16 points.
* Moore 74, Waggener 58: Jamon and Jaelin Sanford each scored 14 points to lead five players in double figures as the host Mustangs (6-2) beat the Wildcats (4-4). Joseph Head scored 13 points for Waggener.
* Butler 76, DeSales 58: The host Colts (4-4) were outscored in all quarters but the second by the Bears (5-1). Butler’s Jeremiah Bell scored 22 points.
DeSales’ Nathan Roush had a game-high 23 points and also had 10 rebounds.
* Elizabethtown 50, North Oldham 45: The host Mustangs (3-4) could not get past the Cougars (3-2) despite a game-high 15 points from Trevor Burton.
Dominique Harding led Elizabethtown with 13 points.
* Iroquois 59, Bullitt Central 38: Devon Johnson scored a game-high 15 points to lead the host Raiders (4-3) over the Cougars (3-5).
Bullitt Central was led by Brett Bourland, who finished with 11 points.
* Collins 68, Shelby County 45: Dez Marshall poured in a game-high 21 points and grabbed six rebounds as the host Titans (6-1) defeated the Rockets (1-6).
* Doss 77, Atherton 52: Montrelle Williams scored 21 points as the host Dragons (4-3) beat the Rebels (2-5).
* Trinity 80, Corbin 31: Darryl Hicks hit five 3-point baskets and scored 25 points as the host Shamrocks (4-0) cruised past the Redhounds (5-2).
* Western 84, Shawnee 39: Carl Brown scored a game-high 23 points to lead the visiting Warriors (2-3) past the Golden Eagles (0-8).
* Kentucky Country Day 43,
Sayre 29: Anthony Mathis scored 15 points as the Bearcats (5-2) decked the Spartans (1-5).
* St. Francis 53, West Cobourg-Ontario, Canada 40: Kenny Gray scored 13 points and Cole VonFeldt added 11 for the host Wyvern’s (3-4). Austin Merson scored 12 points for West Cobourg (3-4).