* Ashley Locke, Lake Region: Locke drove a 25-yard direct kick into the back of the net with less than two minutes to go for the game-winner as Lake Region beat Otter Valley 2-1.
* Morgan Young, BFA-Fairfax: Supplied a hat trick as the Bullets down Northfield, 6-0.
* Mark Puffer, Blue Mountain: In a loss to Williamstown, the goalkeeper collected 23 saves.
By the numbers
* 5: The number of years since Spaulding last won a playoff game. The Tide won Wednesday, 1-0.
* 8: The consecutive years the Milton boys soccer team has reached the Division II quarterfinals.
Did you know?
* Goalkeeper Danielle Schreiner returned from a knee injury Wednesday, cleared to play for the Comets girls soccer team in a shootout loss to Colchester. Also a hockey standout, Schreiner saw her first minutes of the season, making five saves.
Quotes of the day
* Goalkeeper shines: “Haley Forkey stood on her head. Her mentality is second to nobody. She has a great mindset — even after the game, she was still stone faced. She had a job to do and she did it,” said Colchester girls soccer coach Jeff Paul of her goalkeeper’s efforts in the penalty-kick shootout win over BFA-St. Albans.
* Bold prediction: “The Free Press has us losing, but I want to make them liars,” said Williamstown boys soccer coach Scott Hulbert about his fourth-seeded team’s quarterfinal matchup with No. 5 Thetford on Friday.
* “WINNA WINNA CHICKEN DINNA!!! #RS4L #holla #GoRebsGo #vtplayoffs” — @lindsayGeier15, South Burlington midfielder.