* Year in school/sport: Senior middle hitter on the Dutchmen volleyball team.
* Highlights: Senior leader for Melrose, which extended unbeaten and state-ranked Sauk Centre to five games last week.
* What has competing in athletics taught you? “To always have a goal and to know what kind of goal you’re trying to reach. You meet new people from other teams. And it’s fun to be apart of something where people care about you and you keep improving.”
* What’s your most memorable high school moment? “I think ending Long Prairie’s season (in the playoffs) last year.
That was just a memorable game.
The whole team played really well and there was a really good picture from the game in the Melrose Beacon.”
* What’s your pre-match routine? “I get to school about 5:45 p.m. and our whole team sits together and watches the JV. Watching them play gets me motivated. It makes me think about what I’ve got to do for the game. Then we go down to the locker room and do some cheers together. And, I always have some kind of treat just before the game, sometimes it’s a Snickers or something chocolate.”
* What’s your most embarrassing high school moment? “There are probably too many to point out just one … I’ve had my embarrassing moments with my teammates. But we’re always laughing together about them.”
* Favorite food: Heath Bar.
* Favorite movie: Independence Day and Shawshank Redemption.
* Favorite TV show: Friends.
* Favorite Web site/video game: Pinterest. She also plays Scramble with friends on her cell phone.
* What are your post-high-school plans? She’s thinking about St. Cloud State and would major in mass communications/public relations or possibly psychology.
If she continues her volleyball career, it might be at Ridgewater College in Willmar.
* What’s next? The Dutchmen (9-7) are host to Albany (13-5) at 7:15 p.m. Thursday
— Tom Elliott