Raven Merriweather scored in the lane with 3.1 seconds remaining to lift Sacred Heart past host Ballard 55-53 Saturday night in girls’ high school basketball.
Sacred Heart (7-0), ranked 11th in The Courier-Journal’s preseason coaches’ poll, saw an 16-point first-half lead over No. 13 Ballard (6-1) dwindle to one three times in the second half. The Lady Bruins kept chipping away, finally tying the score at 55 on a basket by Tierra Banks with 19 seconds remaining.
The Valkyries took possession, leading to Merriweather’s 8-foot, game-winning jumper. Ballard never led.
She finished with 16 points. Teammate DaiJia Ruffin had 21 points.
* Presentation 54, North Bullitt 51: The Toppers (3-3) capitalized on turnovers by the Lady Eagles (4-3) to escape in the Bullitt County Challenge at Bullitt Central.
Aliyah Johnson and Meredith Degner had 13 for the Toppers. Caitlin Montgomery had 14 points for North Bullitt.
* Mercy 59, Perry County Central 48: The Jaguars (5-0) had four players score in double figures as they defeated the host Lady Commodores (5-3).
Kayla Richardson had 17 points for Mercy.
Kayla Rankin had 17 points for Perry County.
* North Oldham 43, Atherton 33: The host Mustangs (3-5) led 29-12 at the half en route to a victory over the Rebels (1-6). Taylor Moore led the winners with 21 points. Sharon Walker had 25 points for Atherton.
* Collegiate 47, Southern 29: The host Amazons (5-1) held the Trojans (2-5) to single digits in three quarters to coast to victory. Collegiate’s Paige Ganzel sored 20 points while Southern’s Makaila Hilliard had 22.
Dixie Highway Shootout
* Pleasure Ridge Park 69, Oldham County 66: Kelsey Adwell netted 25 points as the host Panthers (7-1) downed the Colonels (3-4).
PRP used a 29-18 advantage in the final period to rally for the victory.
Oldham County was led by Ashley McMurtrey’s game-high 29 points.
* Anderson County 57, Butler 31: The Bearcats (6-0) held the Bearettes (3-3) to single digits in every quarter for the victory.
Anderson County’s Alex Avitt led the game with 17 points.
Danielle Lawrence led Butler with 11.
* Ohio County 63, Western 42: The Eagles (6-1) jumped to a 17-7 third quarter and a 33-16 second half to break open a tight game and subdue the Warriors (4-4).
Ohio County’s Sequoya Huff scored a team-high 17 points while Alex Autry and Deanna Raley added 15 each. Western’s Datoria Higgins led the game with 18 points.
* Holy Cross 64, Collins 48: The Cougars (3-4) jumped to a 22-point halftime lead and withstood a second-half surge to beat the Titans (4-3).
Sydney Morabito led Holy Cross with 19 points. Collins’s Aaliyah Wells scored 31 points, including three threes.