China Dow had 27 points and 21 rebounds as the Christian Academy girls’ basketball team scored the last eight points Friday to rally past Lafayette 50-45 in the second round of the Republic Bank Classic at Lexington Catholic.
The Lady Centurions (6-2), ranked No. 17 in The Courier-Journal’s preseason poll of coaches, trailed the 24th-ranked Lady Generals (3-5) 45-42 with 2:29 to play. Dow’s layup with 1:21 to go gave CAL the lead for good at 46-45, and a basket by Chalisa Helm and two free throws by Dow cemented the victory.
Dow, a senior, led all scorers and tacked on two assists and three blocked shots.
Republic Bank Classic
at Lexington Catholic
* Bryan Station 52, Assumption 48: Serena Sandusky had 13 points to lead the Lady Defenders (5-5) past the No. 5 Rockets (5-2) in a second-round game .
Bullitt Central Christmas Tournament, third place
* Oldham County 63, Calvary Christian 25: The Colonels (5-5) raced out to a 25-5 lead after one quarter to blow out the Cougars (6-7). Ashley McMurtrey lead Oldham County with a game high 18 points, and Zania Caudill lead Calvary Christian with eight points.
Caverna Tournament, consolation
* Presentation 54, Warren East 46: The host Raiders (1-9) were outscored in three of four quarters and fell to the visiting Toppers (4-4).
Presentation’s Aliyah Johnson led all scorers with 19 points. She also added five rebounds, five assists and three steals. Presentation’s Tracey Lindsey had nine points and 11 rebounds.
Jill Renfro led Warren East with 15 points.
Lady Dragon Hoop Fest
* Boone Co. 44, South Oldham 35: Macey Ford had 11 points as the Lady Rebels (5-3) edged the Lady Dragons (1-7) in a semifinal of the South Oldham tournament.
Sydney Jones had 11 points for the Lady Dragons.
* Conner 57, Collins 34: Jordan Scott had 19 points and Hunter Hendricks had 12 to lead the Lady Cougars (9-1) over the Lady Titans (4-5) in a consolation game of the Lady Dragon Hoop Fest.
Aaliyah Wells had 16 points for Collins.
Nike Tournament of Champions at Phoenix
* Sacred Heart 57, St. Mary’s Ryken 43: The Valkyries (9-0) used a big effort by DaiJia Ruffin to get past the Knights (6-2) in the Nike Tournament of Champions event in Arizona. Ruffin scored 22 points to lead Sacred Heart to go with her 15 rebounds, eight of which were on the offensive end.
Portland Christian Holiday Classic, third place
* Brown 57, St. Francis 14: Jordyn Underwood scored 20 points, and Abby Flynn added 11, as the Lady Bears (3-6) cruised past the Wyverns (1-5) in the consolation game of the Portland Christian Holiday Classic at Portland Christian High School.
Waggener Holiday Classic
* Shawnee 42, Doss 38: The Golden Eagles (1-8) picked up their first win by edging out the Dragons (1-6). Shawnee was lead by Sophomore guard Hannah Abernathy, who netted 17 points. Doss were paced by Teona Andrews’ nine points.
Western Holiday Classic, consolation
* Valley 44, Southern 38: Axexus Bowman had 13 points and Monae Crowe added 10 as the Lady Vikings (7-2) edged the Lady Trojans (3-7) in a consolation game of the Western Holiday Classic.
Makaila Hilliard had 18 points and Candace McCoy had 14 for Southern.
* Western 59, North Oldham 35: Lelanda Matthews had 17 points, 11 rebounds, five blocks and five steals to lead the Warriors (5-7) past the Lady Mustangs (3-7) in the second round of the Western Holiday Classic.
Nyquasha Lewis had 19 points and Danyell Calvert had 18 points and 15 rebounds in the win.
Taylor Moore had 12 points for the Lady Mustangs.