Katherine Vienneau scored 12 of her 19 points in the second half as the Union-Endicott girls basketball team defeated Chenango Valley 50-42 in the Pete Hyde Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament on Friday at Johnson City.
Down 10-2 to start the game, Union-Endicott (3-3) changed to a box and one defense to concentrate on Maddie Staiger, who hit five 3-pointers in the game. Staiger finished with 19 points to lead Chenango Valley.
The Tigers pulled away during the second half. Vienneau also grabbed seven rebounds and Nicole Kaczmarcyk added 12 points in the win.
Union-Endicott will play tournament host Johnson City at noon today.
* Oneonta 50, Owego 46: Free throw shooting played a pivotal part in the final game of the day in the Pete Hyde Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament Friday. The game was real tight with no team having a lead of more than six points.
Jill Silvanic made five 3-pointers and finished with 15 points to lead Owego. Mariah Ruff knock down 7 of 8 free throws down the stretch for Oneonta (7-0).
* Norwich 48, Johnson City 35: Jenny Borfitz scored nine of her game-high 14 points in the first quarter to give Norwich an early lead in the Pete Hyde Tournament. The Purple Tornadoes pressed early and forced a few turnovers to jump out to a 25-12 halftime lead. Chris Carpentieri led the Wildcats with seven points.
* Susquehanna Valley 59, Sidney 28: It was a close game after the first quarter but Susquehanna Valley used a full court press to force a lot of turnovers to take over the game in the Greene Holiday Showcase Tournament. Shayna Lee had seven steals and Maddie Blackman had nine rebounds to lead the Sabers.
* Seton CC 51, Vestal 45: The Saints trailed 11-2 early, but Angelica Hauer’s game high 24 points helped spark the comeback in the Pete Hyde Tournament. Christy O’Neil chipped in 9 points for the Saints. Jen Shelp led Vestal with 14 points.
* Windsor 64, Unatego 56: The Black Knights trailed by two heading into the fourth quarter, but Ben Rivera scored eight of his 12 points in the fourth, and as a team Windsor went 10-12 from the free-throw line to come back and win.
* Greene 54, Chenango Forks 35: Dan Treadwell had seven of his 14 points in the first quarter to give the Trojans an early lead in the Greene Holiday Tournament. Treadwell also had seven assists and seven steals on the night.
Vestal finished 4-1 on the day at the Brett Dixon Dual Meet at Central Square High School, including a 51-27 victory over defending Section III champion Indian River in the first match. The Golden Bears also defeated Port Byron (55-21), Central Square (44-30) and Cazenovia (49-27), before losing on criteria to North Rose-Wolcott. The match ended tied at 41, but NR-W won with more head-to-head victories.
Four Golden Bears went undefeated: Derek Osbon (99 pounds), Garet Bleir (113), Alex Francik (160) and James Benjamin (182).