Providence’s stellar defense and deliberate offense were the keys as the Pioneers moved to 6-0 on the season, downing host Floyd Central 43-31 Saturday night in high school boys’ basketball.
“Providence is an experienced team that knows how to execute,” Floyd Central assistant coach Charlie Jenney said. “They are one of the top defensive teams in the state, and their offense is very effective at slowing the game down.”
Dalton Duley had 14 points for the Pioneers.
The Highlanders (1-4) were led by Codie Hamsley’s 11 points.
Six of Providence’s final seven possessions culminated at the free throw line and accounted for nine points.
* Borden 55, West Washington 36: The Braves got 16 points from Jalen McCoy to win the Washington County Holiday Classic at Eastern Pekin.
Josh Vollstedt chipped in 14 for Borden (7-0). The Senators (2-4) got 12 points from Ty Bolton.
* Eastern Pekin 56, Salem 38: R.J. Jackson mustered five 3-pointers in the second period to trigger the host Musketeers (2-5) over the Lions (0-6) in the Holiday Classic consolation game.
Jackson finished with 17 points.
Salem’s Jordan Baker had 21 points.
* Orleans 60, Bedford North Lawrence 53: The host Bulldogs, ranked No. 10 in Class A, made 10 of 15 3-pointers to knock off the Class 4-A Stars (4-4).
Jarrett Jones hit 7 of 9 3-pointers and racked up a game-high 26 points for Orleans (5-1). Cale Hall added 13.
Morgan Cummings paced Bedford with 18 points.
* North Harrison 75, Rock Creek 65: The host Cougars (3-3) made 11 of their 12 fourth-quarter free throws to hold off a late charge by the Lions (4-3).
North Harrison’s Cory Smith led the game with 28 points, including five 3-pointers, while Austin Nolot added 14 points and 10 rebounds.
Devin Burt led Rock Creek with 21 points.
* Madison 55, Austin 44: Matt Woolard scored a game-high 20 points to lead the host Cubs (3-3) past the Eagles (2-3).
Woolard collected 10 of his points in the final period. Ryan Thurston added 10 for Madison.
“We had a good third quarter,” Cubs coach Pat King said. “We were up seven to end the third period and just played some keep-away.”
Austin was led by Jeremiah White’s 12 points.
* Crawford County 52, Northeast Dubois 40: Brandon Cate totaled 14 points and Ranger Caffrey chipped in 12 — four 3-pointers — as the visiting Wolfpack (5-0) got past the Jeeps (2-3).
Northeast Dubois was led by Bryce Huebner’s 19 points.