Lawson Page threw for four touchdowns and kept Collins in the game before the battered Titans’ defense stopped visiting Spencer County late to secure a 38-35 win Friday night in high school football.
“I think that offensively we did a lot of good things tonight,” Collins coach Jerry Lucas said. “Lawson did a great job directing the offense.”
Page was 14 of 26 for 223 yards for Collins, which improved to 3-2 and 1-0 in 4-A, District 3. Nathan Sames caught four passes for 67 yards and three touchdowns.
The Bears (3-3, 0-1) controlled the ball throughout and racked up 413 yards on the ground. They ran 31 more plays than Collins.
Spencer County’s Chase Smith scored on a 2-yard run, his second of the game, to bring the Bears within three, but the Collins’ defense held as the Bears drove into Collins’ territory.
“They did a great job of keeping the ball away from us,” Lucas said. “Our defense missed a lot tackles tonight, but they had to step up and make a stop late in the game.”
* Fern Creek 34, Southern 18: Chris Sharp carried the ball 24 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns as the Tigers (2-4) routed the host Trojans (1-5).
Deon Yelder of Southern had five catches for 126 yards and one touchdown.
* Doss 57, Valley 14: James Yarbrough ran for 105 yards and tallied two touchdowns on 11 carries as the host Dragons (2-4) whipped the Vikings (2-4).
Doss quarterback Devonte Moffitt went 4 of 8 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also racked up 45 yards and another touchdown on the ground. Ronnell Colbert led the Dragons in receiving, finishing with three receptions for 84 yards and two touchdowns.
* DeSales 49, Fort Knox 13: Quarterback Nathan Roush was 5 for 6 for 90 yards to lead the host Colts (2-4, 4-A, District 4 1-0) over the Eagles (2-4, 0-1).
Roush also threw for two touchdowns and ran for another. Dylan Byrd added eight carries for 147 yards and had one touchdown.
* Central Hardin 35, Bullitt East 31: Koree Krupinski put on an aerial show, throwing for 416 yards and four touchdowns on 33-of-42 passing, to lead the visiting Bruins (3-2) past the Chargers (3-3).
Anthony Doran led the Chargers’ offense, throwing for 104 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for another.
* Kentucky County Day 46, Breckinridge County 8: Robert Scholtz (77 touchdowns) and Kaheel Wilson (115 receptions) each set school records for a career as the host Bearcats (5-1) cruised past the Tigers (1-5).
The Bearcats had two players run for more than 100 yards: Isaiah Brents for 111 and Jordan Duff for 101.
* Butler 57, Fairdale 7: The visiting Bears (4-1) averaged 10 yards a carry on the ground and J. D. Morgan was 9-of-12 passing for 205 yards in a rout of the Bulldogs (1-4).
Butler’s Justin Thomas rushed for 107 yards on only six trips and had two scores. Michael Clark scored rushing touchdowns on his only two carries and added a score on a fumble recovery in the end zone.
Bullitt Central 21, Henry County 7: D.J. Dennison grabbed his fifth interception of the season and Trevor Carnell racked up 312 yards on 39 carries with two touchdowns to push the host Cougars (4-2) past the Wildcats (2-4).
Carnell has a team-best 15 TDs on the season.
John Hardin 48, Iroquois 0: Wade Holtsclaw rushed for two touchdowns and caught another to lead the host Bulldogs (5-0, 5-A District 5 1-0) over the Raiders (2-3, 0-1).
Holtsclaw scored on a 16-yard run on the first play from scrimmage. He added a 7-yard run later in the first quarter.
* Christian Academy 27, Washington County 3: Junior cornerback Colton Talley returned two interceptions 60 yards each for TDs as the visiting Centurions (3-2, 1-0 Class 2-A District 4) beat the Commanders (0-5, 0-1).
CAL intercepted four Washington County passes.