Roosevelt Austin, Sauk Centre
* Year in school/sport: Senior running back for the Sauk Centre football team.
* Highlights: Austin ran for 234 yards and two touchdowns in Sauk Centre’s 39-6 win Friday at Montevideo. He was named the West Central Conference’s football performer of the week.
* What has competing in athletics taught you? “You’ve got to work hard. There is no letting up. And it’s taught me a lot about my teammates and how everyone has a certain thing they have to do in order for the team to be successful.”
* What’s your most memorable high school moment? “I’d have to say my sophomore year when I made my first start against BOLD. It went into double overtime and I got an interception and scored two touchdowns.”
* What’s your pregame routine? “I really like to listen to music a lot. I’m not one of those people who has to get a super angry attitude in order to play. I’m a lot better if I’m happy and having fun. So, I just try to relax and play some catch.”
* What’s your most embarrassing high school moment? “My junior year against New London-Spicer I was on the kick-return team and we were losing pretty bad. There was a kick to me and for some reason, I thought it was a punt. I just let it lay there and they recovered. It was pretty embarrassing.”
* Favorite food: Cornbread.
* Favorite movie: 300.
* Favorite TV show: Lost.
* Favorite Web site/video game: Twitter. He also loves to play Dead Space II on PlayStation 3.
* What are your post-high-school plans? “Hopefully, I want to be able to play college football and major in sports medicine. I’m not sure where I’m going to do that right now, though.”
* What’s next? Sauk Centre (2-0) plays at 7 p.m. Friday at Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta (2-0) in a matchup of unbeaten West Central Conference squads. Morris is coming off a 26-24 win over Paynesville.
“They’re definitely a good team,” Austin said. “They’re more of an athletic team, but their line is big and their backs are speedy. It’s going to be a good test for us.”
— Tom Elliott
To nominate someone, send e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org.