The Trinity boys’ basketball team hung a doughnut on DeSales (2-1) in the fourth quarter, and the Shamrocks’ defense smothered the visiting Colts 65-16 on Saturday night.
“I was really proud of our defense and how tough they were,” Trinity coach Mike Szabo said. The Shamrocks (1-0) forced 28 turnovers and shot 53 percent from the field.
Trey Ivory had 14 to pace the Shamrocks.
* Eastern 87, Kentucky Country Day 43: The visiting Eagles (3-0), No. 24 in The Courier-Journal’s preseason coaches’ poll, used a stout press defense and accurate shooting (32 of 54) to rout the Bearcats (2-1).
Eastern’s Chris Renfroe led the game with 21 points while Jocari Beattie added 15 as the Eagles had four double figure scorers and committed only seven turnovers.
Anthony Mathis had 12 points, including three three-pointers, to lead KCD.
* Bethlehem 54, Bullitt Central 43: Jordan Cooper-Lyvers had 27 points, six rebounds, six assists and six steals to power the host Eagles (2-0) past the Cougars (1-2).
Aaron Duckett led Bullitt Central with 19 points.
* Campbellsville 72, Brown 36: The host Eagles shot 11 of 17 in the third quarter, outscoring Brown 27-10 to take command.
Three players — Damontez Smith, Tony Barrera and A.J. Vaught — each had 13 points for Campbellsville, which led 25-15 at halftime.
Justyn Powell had 22 points for the Bears, hitting 8 of 13 shots (5 of 8 from three-point range).
* Grant County 65, Shawnee 36: The host Braves (3-0) sprinted to a 19-9 lead after the first quarter and coasted to a rout of the Golden Eagles (0-4). Grant County’s Tyler Carr led the game with 21 points.
* Collins 71, North Oldham 61: Dwayne Marshall had 25 points and Buddy Johnson had 20 as the host Titans (2-1) closed out the Mustangs (1-1) in the fourth quarter.
David Levitch paced the Mustangs with 15 points.
* Walton-Verona 67, South Oldham 43: The Bearcats, No. 18 in The C-J’s preseason coaches’ poll, broke open the second quarter on a 9-0 run, with three straight three-pointers as they cruised past the host Dragons.
Courtney Sandlin led the Bearcats with 18 points.
* Waggener 72, Spencer County 41: Jada Jackson scored a 24 points to lead four double-digit scorers as the visiting Wildcats (1-1) stomped the Bears (1-1).