As Sandy rages through the region, the state’s high school athletic association has tried to develop some contingency plans for its championship events.
The NJSIAA noted that schedules are subject to further change, based on the storm’s progress.
The football playoffs may be pushed back one week if teams are unable to complete their regular season slate this weekend.
The NJSIAA said Monday if all member schools are back in session on Thursday, all games will need to be completed by Sunday and seeding would take place Monday. In that scenario, the playoff schedule would remain unchanged.
However, if any school is unable to re-open until Monday, the NJSIAA said the seeding meeting will be moved to Nov. 11, pushing back the playoff schedule one week. In that scenario, first-round games would be played Nov. 16-17, second-round games would be Nov. 30-Dec. 1 and finals would be Dec. 7-8.
According to the NJSIAA, other championship schedule changes include:
* Boys Soccer: The goal is to complete first-round games by Thursday and second-round games by Saturday. The NJSIAA will permit teams to play doubleheaders.
* Cross Country: A decision will be made on Wednesday, pending assessment of conditions at courses around the state.
* Field Hockey: No decision has been made, though the goal is to complete quarterfinals by Saturday.
* Girls Soccer: The goal is to play first-round games, starting Friday and second-round games Monday. The NJSIAA will permit teams to play doubleheaders.
* Volleyball: First-round games have been moved to Wednesday and second-round games will be played Friday.