Stratford falls to Edgar in overtime thriller

Stratford falls to Edgar in overtime thriller


Stratford falls to Edgar in overtime thriller



In what was Stratford Cal Tackes final visit to Edgar, it was only fitting that the game came down to the final play with the Tigers in position to send their longtime coach out as a winner.

Edgar’s Dalton Schroeder intercepted a Drew Spaeth’s pass at the goal line on Stratford first play in overtime to preserve the Wildcats’ 11-8 win over Stratford in a Marawood Conference matchup on Friday.

The interception came after Wildcats’ sophomore Kaleb Wolf hit a 28-yard field goal that just sailed over the bar to open the extra period. Spaeth tried to hit senior running back Greg Belter on a pattern but the pass sailed high and Schroeder lept up and made the play.

“It’s my call and we had talked about doing some runs,” Tackes said. “I wanted the win and I thought the best time to get them offbalance was on the first play. We thought we could get them deep but (Schroeder) didn’t bite at all. Our receiver had a hard time getting out and was late getting there, or else it might have been a one-on-one play. They did their job.

“I could have been more conservative and ran the ball too and then settled for a field goal, but that was if we held (Edgar) to nothing,” Tackes said. “When the got three points on the board, we were going for the win. We just didn’t execute at that point.”

The matchup was the last one in the regular season between Tackes and his longtime rival Jerry Sinz as Tackes is retiring this year after 24 years at the helm of the Tigers. The game was a defensive struggle, as has been the case so often over the years when Edgar and Stratford meet. Thetwo teams combined for 237 yards offensively.

“It was one of those games that we’re used to having, and this is one of those years in which we’re pretty even in size, speed and everything,” Edgar coach Jerry Sinz said.

Edgar forced four turnovers and held Stratford to seven first downs and 69 yards. The Tigers tied the game as Nolan Bargender returned a blocked field goal 78 yards for a score with less than four minutes in regulation. Edgar holder Blake Lehman pulled down a high snap that threw off Wolf’s timing. The low kick appeared to be blocked by Joe Redman and was scooped up by Bargender who took off down the middle of the field and scored untouched.

Drew Spaeth then hit Eli Temanson for the two-point conversion.

“I think that was a great head-up play on Nolan Bargender’s part,” Tackes said. “There were a number of guys out there I saw standing around after (the kick) was blocked, they were taking the play off thinking it was a dead ball, but he didn’t. Travis Urlaub got out in front and made a big block to keep him in the position to score. It was a couple guys who are seniors, kept their head in it and made a play.”

Edgar ran 22 plays in the first quarter to Stratford’s five, forced turnovers on the Tigers first two possessions, but led just 8-0. Edgar’s Philip Lemmer scored on a 17-yard screen pass from Tyler Kirsch, and Will Hannemann ran in the two-point conversion.

Edgar was held to 75 yards in the second half, and had three three-and-outs offensive series.


More USA TODAY High School Sports