This weekend marks the end of the boys basketball regular season, the start of the girls’ tournament, sectional wrestling and district swimming and diving. What better way to kick off a new blog than to run down a list of story lines prevalent heading into this busy weekend? You’re right. None. Let’s go.
* Millersport senior Alton Frizzell plays his final regular season game tonight when the Lakers host Berne Union. Frizzell, who broke the school’s all-time scoring record earlier in the season, has 1,635 career points entering the weekend.
* Bloom-Carroll is looking for its 32nd consecutive Mid-State League-Buckeye Division win in boys basketball tonight against Circleville. The Bulldogs have not lost a conference game since early 2011 to Canal Winchester, which is playing its last game in the league tonight.
* Amanda-Clearcreek has finished first or second in its Division III wrestling sectional for the past five years and will look to make it six tomorrow. The Aces have ambitious goals for the postseason, and if everything breaks the right way for them, they could place double digit wrestlers in next week’s district meet.
* Twenty-one swimmers from area schools are trying to get to the state meet tonight and tomorrow. The natatorium at Ohio State University will be packed for the next two days for the Central District meet. Lancaster highlights Division I competition tomorrow, where Ryan DePietro leads four qualifiers and hopes to make it out in two events.
* Six girls basketball teams in our coverage area start their district tournament runs tomorrow. Although only two of the teams are the higher seeds in their respective matchups, five teams have a good chance to advance to the second round.
* Fairfield Union boys basketball will play Canal Winchester for likely the final time tonight because the Indians are leaving the Mid-State League. The Falcons are looking to even their league record and send the Indians home on a losing note.