* In 15 pitching appearances, had a 10-0 record and a 1.42 ERA. Gave up 46 hits with 24 walks and 75 strikeouts in 74 innings.
* As a catcher, finished with a .352 average and 32 RBIs.
* Was the AISA player of the year and one of five All-State players from Edgewood, which finished 42-3 and won a fifth straight AISA state championship.
* With Gage Pregno winning AISA pitcher of the year, the Wildcats have sported seven major baseball award winners the last two years.
* Also a major player on the Edgewood’s state championship football team. Led the team with 130 tackles and 19 tackles for loss at linebacker, despite being 6-foot-4, 190 pounds. Also averaged more than 37 yards per punt.
* Plans to play both baseball and softball at Birmingham-Southern.
* Working this summer at Applebee’s in Prattville and at Edgewood.
Like pitching or catching?
“Gage was incredible on the mound, so it was fun catching. Pitching, I had a great year, so I can’t say either one of them was better.”
Edgewood best in state, period?
“I think we were one of the top three, at least. We’re up there. We were really good.”
This year’s Wildcats or last year’s?
“It would be a tough battle. They’d have Mitch (Greer) and Cole (Lipscomb). We’d have me and Gage. Our hitting was better this year, and last year we had Mitch and Cole. It would be fun to watch.”
Pretty cool year?
“It was pretty awesome. We didn’t come into the year expecting all that, but it was awesome.”
More fun this year: baseball or football?
“I’d have to say football. I’ve played baseball all of my life. Football, I’ve gotten good the last four years. It’s been real crazy. I love hitting people.”
“I’m looking forward to getting up there and playing some football. I hope to get on the varsity squad and not have to play JV.”
Favorite Applebee’s dish?
“I like the quesadilla burger. It’s just something I like. It’s different. It’s not just your regular burger. It has something extra to it.”
“We’ve had some guys come in there and throw a drink on somebody. It was weird. That’s when we have to kick somebody out of there.”
Best/worst school subjects.
“I love math. I’m really good at math. I just like dealing with numbers, adding and subtracting, all that kind of cool stuff. I don’t like English. I’m a terrible writer. I just can’t write very well. I can think of it, but I can’t put it on paper.”
“I’m starting out in business and then I want to get into the accounting program.”
“Working and playing a little baseball, getting ready for football next year. Getting ready for next year. I’m playing some pickup games with guys I know from Lowndes and Fort Dale. It’s really not a big team.
I’m working out and trying to get bigger. It’s always been a struggle of mine to gain weight. I need to figure it out sometime soon.”
Just eat more quesadilla burgers.
“I know. I need to. I need to eat a bunch.”