Area tennis teams already have gotten their seasons started. Here’s a look at what the area has to offer.
* Coach Janet Disbennett (24th season).
* In 2012 14-3, 5-0 Southeastern Ohio Athletic League champions.
* Key losses Parisa Bennett, Liann VanVolkinburg, Courtney Berry, Tiffany Noel, Jessica Pentecost.
* Key returners Taylor Sprouse, Ellen Schmitt, Amanda Mares, Stacey Lapurga, Hannah Arth, Hannah Hirsch.
* Breakdown The Cavaliers graduated five seniors from the 2012 SEOAL championship. But with plenty of talent coming back, including 2012 sectional champion Taylor Sprouse, Chillicothe looks to be reloading, not rebuilding.
“Taylor Sprouse won the sectional singles title last year as a freshman. We hope to build on that and possibly have others do well at sectionals,” Disbennett said. “We will to continue to play as many Columbus schools as possible for our nonleague matches. This is so we can be competitive when we go to the (Division I) sectional tournament.”
The Cavs boast only two seniors on the roster, but have 15 players, a much larger class than in years past.
So far, Chillicothe has cruised through its first several matches and will look to capture another league title — something Disbennett’s teams are accustomed to — in the South Central Ohio League.
“We are in the new league and hope to do very well in it this year,” Disbennett said. “We still need to work on being more aggressive and consistent in our play.
* Coach Aaron Koch (10th season).
* In 2012 9-9
* Key losses Mara Smith, Cassidy Gray.
* Key returners Kayla Houser, Katie McMahan, Courtney Looper, Macey Sprague.
* Breakdown Things still are a work in progress for Koch and the Shermans.
They face what all teams face at some time and that’s replacing a good chunk of the lineup. Unioto lost its Nos. 1 and 2 singles players from 2012 — Mara Smith and Cassidy Gray — to graduation. Kayla Houser, a four-year letterwinner, will step into the No. 1 spot.
“She’s very consistent,” Koch said of Houser. “She makes a lot of plays, but where we’re struggling is finding ways for her to finish points. Most of your No. 1s are consistent, so we have to find ways for her to get her points in there.”
There’s also more question marks.
“We’re really young,” Koch said. “We have a lot of new players and a lot of inexperience. The goal is for us to improve and get more consistent by the end of the second half of the season.”
* Coach Kim Swepston (12th season).
* In 2012 16-1
* Key loss Victoria Pyzik
* Key returners Sher McLean, Bailey Patrick, Beatriz Hernandez.
* Breakdown For what’s its worth, things in Waverly look favorable.
Four-year player Victoria Pyzik has graduated, but Sweptson has the luxury of all three singles players — McLean, Patrick and Hernandez — returning with just one loss between them in 2012.
Madison Patrick and Sarah Wilburn and Alex Murdock and Taylor Malone make up the doubles teams.
Swepston hopes the Tigers have the same success this season that they did in 2012.
“We’re hoping to reprise our first place SOC league position in both season and tournament play,” she said.