* Year in school/sport: He’s a senior at Rocori and a forward on the River Lakes boys hockey team.
* Highlights: Herges accounted for all four goals in the Stars’ 4-2 win over Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato on Saturday. He had two goals and two assists.
* What has competing in athletics taught you? “Mainly, it’s taught me how to work as a team and to stay motivated and set goals for yourself, making sure you have something to reach for. With our team, there are so many different associations, you don’t really know a lot about some of your teammates because we’re from three high schools. Communication is big, too.”
* What’s your most memorable high school moment? “No doubt about it, winning the state championship (in 2011) as a football player (for Rocori). There is nothing like that feeling, standing on the Metrodome floor, receiving our trophy. That was an incredible moment.”
* What’s your pre-game routine? “I always listen to music, eat some pasta before the game to get my carbs and watch the JV game. I’ll talk to friends and look at their players.”
* What’s your most embarrassing high school moment? “That’s really tough … I remember fumbling the ball on our first kickoff in the section playoffs. That was pretty bad.”
* Favorite food: Pasta.
* Favorite movie: The Other Guys.
* Favorite TV show: ESPN Sports Center.
* Favorite Web site/video game: Minnesota Hockey Hub is his website. NHL ’13 on Play Station 3 is his video game of choice.
* What are your post-high-school plans? Herges will be a biology major at the University of Minnesota and will not play sports.
* What’s next? River Lakes (4-8 CLC, 9-12 overall) is host to Fergus Falls (4-5-2, 10-7-3) at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in Paynesville. Then, the Stars play Sartell (3-6-2, 8-7-4) at 7:15 p.m. Thursday in Richmond.
— Tom Elliott