The Iroquois boys’ basketball team took top honors in the Best In Hoops Tournament at Oldham County with a decisive move in the middle of the game en route to a 67-49 throttling of Western on Saturday night.
The Raiders (7-1) led just 22-16 after the first quarter and then outscored the Warriors 41-14 in the two middle periods.
Devon Johnson led the Raiders with 21 points and Troy Smith added 16 points and 10 rebounds. For Western (4-3), Terrell Howard was the leading scorer with 21 points.
Earlier in the round-robin tournament:
* Western 72, Owensboro 66: The Warriors fell behind 24-10 after the first quarter and then stormed past the Red Devils (3-3) in round-robin play. Patrick Moore led Western with 24 points and Kittrell Withers added 21. Justin Miller led Owensboro with 29 points.
* Oldham County 80, Western 68: The host Colonels (6-2) used a 23-11 edge in the second quarter to pull away from the Warriors as Hayden Hawes poured in 20 points. Chris McCraw had 21 points for Western.
* Manual 71, Shelby County 59: The Crimsons (6-2) were led by Dwayne Sutton’s 20 points as they took down the Rockets (0-8). Junior Kemar Mason led Shelby County with 16 points.
* Manual 87, Owensboro 67: The Crimsons put on a 3-point clinic, nailing 13-23 from beyond the arc to cruise over the Red Devils (4-4). Chris West hit five 3-pointers in a row in the first quarter and also scored 18 of his 20 points in the first period for Manual. They were led in scoring by Dwayen Sutton’s 30 points. Juniors Arick Holman and Justin Miller led Owensboro in scoring with 22 and 15, respectively.
* Iroquois 92, Boyd County 66: The Raiders cruised to the finals after dominating the Lions (3-5). Devon Johnson led all scorers with 24 points for Iroquois. Boyd County got 14 points from Grayson Griffith.
Farmers National Bank/Fort Harrod Classic
At Mercer County
* Lincoln County 78, Bullitt East 68: In the semifinals, Jacob Conway led the Patriots (5-3) with 34 points in beating the host Chargers (7-1).
* Doss 65, Seneca 61: Montrelle Little had a team-high 18 points as the Dragons (3-1) topped the Redhawks (1-7). Brandon Trotter had 22 points and 11 rebounds for Seneca.
* Lexington Catholic 77, Doss 75: Montrell Little had 33 points and Terrell Gray scored 19 for the Dragons, who missed what would have been a game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Because two teams dropped out of the tournament, Doss and Lexington Catholic both received byes into the winners’ bracket quarterfinals. Tanner Johnson scored 42 points for LexCath (3-2).
Farmers Bank Christmas
At Breckinridge County
* DeSales 66, Central Hardin 51: Chase Shellman led his team with 18 points to lift the Colts (6-1) over the host Bruins (3-3). DeSales went on a 12-3 run to start the third quarter to pull away. Dillon Glenn led Central Hardin with 15 points.
Warren East Christmas
At Warren East
* South Warren 63, North Oldham 61: Zach McDaniel led the Spartans (6-2) with 20 points in a win over the host Mustangs (2-4). Jonathan Henry led North Oldham with 20 points.
McLean County Holiday
At McLean County
* Waggener 58, Greenwood 52: The host Gators (1-3) watched their lead disappear in the fourth quarter as the Wildcats (6-1) turned up the defensive pressure and outscored Greenwood 23-12. Kevin Kirby had 12 points and Brandon Wells added 11 to lead Waggener. Greenwood was led by Alex Fee’s 12 points.
Stop DWI Holiday Classic
At Covington Holmes
* Male 72, Southern 52: The Bulldogs (2-5) broke open the game early in the third quarter and outrebounded the Trojans (1-6) 32-15 as they stayed in control. Steven Julian had 14 points to lead Male. Southern’s Donquel Andrews led all scorers with 28 points.
At Portland Christian
* St. Francis 65, Brown 36: Stevie Mack had 20 points and six blocks to lift the Wyverns (5-1) over the Bears (1-4) in the finals. De Shawn Bell Jr. led Brown with 10 points. Len Adams was voted MVP.
* Portland Christian 52, Walden 50: Neil Brangers scored 14 points to lead the Eagles (1-3) past the Wolverines (2-6). Charles Thomas paced Walden with 13 points.