* Coach: Kristin Hartley (first season)
* Last season: 9-5; lost in Division I quarterfinals to South Burlington.
* Key returnees: Reeves Hart, senior; Matthew Foster, junior.
* Key newcomers: The Seahorses have added some depth with eight newcomers.
* Outlook: Hartley is looking forward to a good season, saying, “We have a large team with a lot of depth. We will be lead by our captains Reeves Hart and Matthew Foster.”
* Up next: Friday at BFA-St. Albans
* Coach: Frank Babbot (sixth season)
* Last season: 8-5; lost in Division I quarterfinals to Stowe.
* Key returnees: Joey O’Brien, junior; Tristan Arthhaud, senior; Josh Huber, junior; Conor McQuiston, senior.
* Key newcomers: Skylar Gollan, junior; Stephen Asch, sophomore; Nathan Comai, sophomore.
* Outlook: “Depth is our greatest asset and we’ve been that way for years. I think we’re going to be in the middle of the pack, but if other schools were hit hard by graduation, we should be in the upper level of the pack,” Babbot said.
* Up next: Friday at Essex
* Coach: Jose Calderon (first season)
* Last season: 0-17, did not qualify for tournament.
* Key returnees: Mikey Chambers, sophomore.
* Key newcomers: Luke Liscio, sophomore; Liam Mooney, sophomore; Alex Barrett, sophomore; Mark Gauthier, sophomore.
* Outlook: The Lakers have a very young roster this season, but coach Calderon has seen tons of room for potential and tremendous improvement in the early weeks.
* Up next: Saturday at U-32
* Coach: Jim Murphy (14th season)
* Last season: Finished 13-3, lost in Division I playdowns to Stowe.
* Key returnees: David Ro, senior; Daniel Ro, sophomore; Evan Greer, sophomore; Dylan Garcia, sophomore.
* Key newcomers: Antoine Rotstart, senior.
* Outlook: Essex brings a talented squad to the court led by David Ro, and this group of Hornets is one of the most talented that Murphy has coached in his career.
* Up next: Friday vs. Champlain Valley
* Coach: Nick deTarnowsky (second season)
* Last season: 3-11; did not qualify for tournament.
* Key returnees: David Brown, junior; Matt Blow, sophomore; Brad Adair, senior.
* Key newcomers: Alvaro Catalan, junior; Eric Iverson, senior.
* Outlook: The Cougars roster is deeper than in years past and coach deTarnowsky is hoping for a .500 season with his young squad.
* Up next: Friday at Spaulding
* Coach: Damon Fitch (13th season)
* Last season: 3-12; did not qualify for tournament.
* Key returnees: Greg Fitzgerald, senior; Erik Olson, sophomore.
* Key newcomers: The Green Knights will be adding three or four newcomers.
* Outlook: With most of the roster and one more year of experience, Rice has a solid shot at making the playoffs. “I think we’ll be able to compete and win some matches,” Fitch said.
* Up next: Friday vs. Harwood
* Coach: Andy Samara (second season)
* Last season: 20-0; captured Division I state championship.
* Key returnees: Cody Yu, senior; Will Gregoire, senior; Nikko Pasanen, senior.
* Key newcomers: Marco Cepeda, freshman.
* Outlook: South Burlington has a very deep and talented roster with many players returning from its championship season. Coach Samara is hoping for another strong campaign.
* Up next: Today at U-32
— Chris Elbag