* Brad Bissonette, Champlain Valley: Cracked a two-out, RBI single in the seventh inning to complete the defending champion’s furious rally in a 5-4 win over No. 14 Middlebury.
* Shania Covey, Thetford: In helping the Panthers to the win over Twin Valley, Covey went 3-for-5 with a triple, home run and five RBIs.
* Savannah Fay, Oxbow: Racked up 25 saves to backstop Oxbow’s 10-6 Division II girls lacrosse win over Montpelier.
* Maddie Myers, Rice Memorial: Fired an 86 at Proctor-Pittsford Country Club to claim medalist honors in the Division II high school girls golf state tournament for the second straight year.
* Troy Sweet, Arlington: Went 3-for-5 with two homers and eight RBIs.
By the numbers
0: Sets lost in four-year career of Essex tennis ace David Ro.
5: Number of games CVU boys lacrosse, who advanced with 9-1 win over BFA-St. Albans, has allowed one goal or less this spring.
28: Total number of strikeouts that Fair Haven’s Matt Graziano and Bellows Falls’ Mike LaBeau combined for in Division II baseball playdown.
1991: Last time Rice Memorial softball team won a playoff game before upsetting Windsor on Tuesday.
* “Bailey McCarthy has been on the losing end of a lot of games for us, but she pitched the game of her high school career today.” — Rice coach Paul DiFalco on his team’s ace.
* The boys golf championships at Woodstock headline today’s slate of postseason action.
On the blog
* For quick-hit tournament predictions in baseball, softball and boys and girls lacrosse, visit Varsity Insider at blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/varsity/