* D-1: No. 7 Essex (13-8) at No. 2 Rutland (17-4): The Raiders are on a 13-game roll, a winning streak that started by topping Essex in overtime.
* D-III: No. 8 Hazen (14-7) at No. 1 Williamstown (20-0): Plenty has changed for Hazen since it lost twice to Williamstown by double digits. Enough to pull off the upset?
* D-IV: No. 5 Twinfield (14-7) vs. No. 4 Danville (13-8): These teams split during the regular season. Who takes the rubber match?
St. Amour’s finale?
* Unless No. 9 Missisquoi pulls off the upset at top-seeded and undefeated St. Johnsbury, Matt St. Amour, the reigning Free Press’ “Mr. Basketball,” will play his last game today. St. Amour sits at 2,040 career points and needs 22 against SJA to jump to third all-time.
* “(Kendal Zeno) wore him like a cheap suit. Jahnathan Mitchell kid is an outstanding athlete and Kendall kept his composure,” said U-32 coach Dan Gandin about Zeno’s defensive performance on Mitchell, who finished with 14 points Friday night after racking up 46 in the playdown round.
* “It feels different than losing. The girls are going crazy and they deserve it. After two years, it’s been tough,” said CVU’s coach Ben Psaros on his girls hockey team’s first win in two years. The Redhawks beat Hartford in double overtime Friday.
* “Just read the Free Press playoff predictions (bfpne.ws/Z6mSvk). We’re gonna have to change Alex’s name to “Chalk Abrami”!!!”– @VTsportsimages (Paul Lamontagne), a local sports photographer.
* Today’s playoff slate includes 20 games (boys basketball quarterfinals and boys and girls hockey playdowns)
On the blog
* For predictions in boys and girls hockey, visit at blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/varsity