* Year in school/sport: Ninth-grader on the girls’ swimming and diving team.
* Highlights: Thelen qualified for the state meet by scoring a personal-best 359 at the Section 6A championships Saturday in Alexandria.
* What has competing in athletics taught you? “It’s taught me that, even though you’re nervous, push through it. Even if you have a bad dive, let things go and keep at it and push through it. And, try your best.”
* What’s your most memorable high school moment? “So far, making it to state.”
* What’s your premeet routine? “I go through my dives in my head and think about it. And I listen to music. It calms my nerves.”
* What’s your most embarrassing high school moment? “It would be diving at the pool before sections last year and hitting the bottom of the pool. I gave myself a black eye and a concussion.”
* Favorite food: Fettucini alfredo.
* Favorite movie: Grown Ups 2.
* Favorite TV show: Pretty Little Liars.
* Favorite Web site: Instagram.
* What are your post-high-school plans? “I’m only a freshman. I haven’t really thought about it. I’d like to get a scholarship for diving, but that’s all I’ve got right now.”
* What’s next? She and teammate Erin Voigt compete in the state Class A diving preliminaries at noon Monday at the University of Minnesota Aquatics Center in Minneapolis.
If they make the cut, the Class A finals are noon Wednesday (Nov. 20).
“It’ll be fun because I’ll have Erin practicing with me,” Thelen said.