Alex LeClair struck at 1:26 of the overtime period Wednesday night, lifting the Essex High School boys hockey team past Spaulding, 2-1.
Tom Fogg and Cole Sheffert earned the assists on the winning goal while Steve Jurkiewicz had Essex’s first tally, a power play chance in the first period.
Shane Hickey had a man-advantage goal in the second period for Spaulding, which received 31 saves from Justin Laperle.
Brock Paquette turned away 34 shots for the Hornets (10-2-2).
* Colchester 3, Champlain Valley 1: Matty Cuce scored two goals to help Colchester seize its fourth straight win.
Will Steele also scored while Cuce’s second tally came 1:58 left in the third, pushing the Lakers’ lead to their final margin of victory.
Brendan Gannon tallied and Greg Talbert made 21 saves for CVU (8-3-3).
Matt McBride turned away 37 shots for the Lakers (9-2-3).
* South Burlington 6, North Country 4: Eric Craig pumped in four goals, including the insurance tally in the third, as South Burlington outlasted North Country at Cairns Arena.
Tommy Royer had two goals and three assists and Connor O’Toole earned two helpers to aid South Burlington (12-2).
Ryan Paul scored twice, the second coming during North Country’s three-goal third period. Ross Delabruere and Brody Jacobs also tallied and Ryan O’Donnell earned two assists in the final period for the Falcons (10-3-1).
North Country’s Chris Bronson turned away 34 shots, twice the number of saves David Streeter had while in net for SBHS.
* BFA-St. Albans 6, Rice 2: Nick Berno scored twice during a five-goal second-period barrage, powering BFA-St. Albans to the win over Rice at Cairns Arena.
Berno also had a first-period assist on Tanner Waite’s power play goal. Peter Dukas, Brandon Streeter and Cam Russell also fired in goals in the second for BFA (6-6-2).
David Boreman notched his first career goal and Alex Morse also tallied for Rice.
* Woodstock 3, Mount Mansfield 1: Conor Joyce’s power-play goal in the third period proved the game-winner in Woodstock’s triumph over visiting Mount Mansfield.
After Woodstock’s Will Gault and MMU’s Adam Oler traded first-period goals, Joyce converted a pass from Hunter Schmell (two assists) to put his team ahead for good. Joyce added an empty-netter with 18 seconds left, with help from Connor McCarthy (two assists).
Ben Orr made 20 saves for Woodstock (7-8). Joe Airoldi recorded 21 stops for Mount Mansfield (3-11).
* Harwood 5, St. Johnsbury 4: Sam Boylan potted a breakaway goal 4:16 into the third period to lift host Harwood past St. Johnsbury.
Boylan’s game-winner came with help from Tom Belnap (two assists) and Erik Bertalan, who turned in a hat trick for Harwood (6-8-1). Willy MacGowan made 32 saves.
Andriy Stavnyuk scored twice for St. Johnsbury (3-12), which also received one goal apiece from Jared Rutledge and Moy Cherem and 36 saves from Ben Greenstein.
* Rutland 9, Middlebury 3: Visiting Rutland opened scoring 17 seconds into the game and racked up five first-period goals on its way to a win over Middlebury.
Tyler Slusarczyk and Nico Roy turned in hat tricks for Rutland (9-3-2), while Jordan Godfrey added two goals and Max Major scored once. Raiders goalie Jason MacFarlane made 14 saves.
Keegan Bartlett, Justin Stone and Tyler Crowningshield tallied for Middlebury (5-6-2), which got 29 saves from Sawyer Ryan.
* Missisquoi 3, Stowe 1: Nick Laroe and Collin Beyor had third-period goals to deliver visiting Missisquoi a win over Stowe.
Andrew Bombardier also scored, Jacob Babcock earned two assists and Mate Muller stopped 17 shots for MVU.
JJ Clark had Stowe’s goal, with Wyatt Galfetti making 26 saves.
* Burr and Burton 2, U-32 2: U-32’s Forrest Smith scored with 1:22 remaining in the third period to force overtime on the way to a tie with host Burr and Burton.
Tyler Elliott also scored for U-32 (13-1-1), which received 18 saves from Jordan Blais.
Burr and Burton (12-3-1) got first-period goals from Sean Paradis and Brock Pollard, as well as 50 saves from Zack Stewart.
* Mount Mansfield-South Burlington 2, Essex 2: Melissa Moldovan struck on the power play with about three minutes to go as Essex forged a tie with Mount Mansfield-South Burlington at Cairns Arena.
Taylor Hallowell also scored in the third period for the Hornets (8-5-2).
Sarah Fisher and Julia Hudson each netted second-period tallies for MMU-SB (8-3-2).
Essex’s Victoria Gibson made 19 saves, two more than Courtney Peyko had for MMU-SB.
* Spaulding 5, Colchester 1: A four-goal first period helped host Spaulding roll past Colchester.
Ashley Pelkey, Julia Ormsby, Ellen Gosselin and Emma Ferland had Spaulding’s first-period strikes. Pelkey scored a second goal in the middle period.
Erin Turner scored and Erica Hoffman collected 21 saves for the Lakers (9-5). Morgan Gosselin made 13 stops for the Crimson Tide (11-2).
* Rutland 6, Rice 1: Emme O’Rourke supplied three goals to power host Rutland past Rice.
Haleigh Byrnes scored and Addie Stillman made 24 saves for Rice (6-4-2), which saw its seven-game unbeaten streak come to an end.
* BFA-St. Albans
5, Missisquoi 1: Tori Hubbard scored the final two goals and assisted another to help visiting BFA-St. Albans drop Missisquoi.
Danielle Schreiner (assist), Morgan Lamos and Kendra Williams also tallied for BFA (9-2-2), which led 4-0 after two periods. Shanley Howrigan stopped 25 shots.
Kim Kosac had MVU’s goal and Hannah Bockus made 40 shots.
* Harwood 4, Northfield 1: Carrie Johnson assisted three of Harwood’s four goals in a win at Northfield.
Emily Vasseur, Haley Spittle, Kaylee Ferris and Zoe Alves had the goals while Siena Damon made 19 saves for the Harwood (11-2-1), which has won five straight games.
Kristin Dukette had a second-period tally, cutting the deficit to 2-1, while Gabby Willey and Markie Delude combined to stop 13 shots for the Marauders (8-6-1).
* Middlebury 4, Brattleboro 0: Sara Boe and Emma Best tallied two goals apiece, setting the tone in host Middlebury’s win over Brattleboro.
Timi Carone set up three of Middlebury’s goals while Baily Ryan worked three-save shutout. The Tigers improve to 8-6.
* Burr and Burton 4, Hartford 1: Jordan Harmon supplied three goals, Erin Thompson had a goal and two assists and Burr and Burton skated past Hartford.
* BFA-St. Albans 62, Colchester 42: Darren Callan scored 18 points and BFA-St. Albans used a 25-3 first-quarter lead to defeat host Colchester.
Matt Sanders added a dozen points for BFA (9-6).
Ricky Giroux put in a dozen points for the Lakers (3-12).
* Rochester 74, Craftsbury 27: Pavin Parrish tallied 31 points to reach 1,500 for his career and Rochester cruised to win at Craftsbury.
Nine of 11 players scored for Rochester (14-1). Craftsbury’s Kyle Adams scored 14 points.
* Craftsbury 55, Rochester 28: Janet Bohannon’s 23 points and Thalia’s Thomas’ 16 helped host Craftsbury improve to 12-4 at Rochester’s expense.
Rochester’s Phoebe Parrish scored 11 points.
* Williamstown 47, South Royalton 23: Dani Jesmonth scored 11 points and made seven steals to help key Williamstown’s win over visiting South Royalton.
Carissa Carrier scored 12 points for Williamstown (9-3). Kim Larkin led South Royalton (4-9) with 10 points.
* Rivendell 56, Blue Mountain 31: Rivendell used a 17-2 third-quarter run to hammer out a road win over Blue Mountain.
Lacey Stever and Stefanie DeSimone poured in 14 points apiece for Rivendell (10-2).
Jordan Farquharson led Blue Mountain (4-8) with 11 points.