Despite being triple-teamed, Jason Manwaring banked in a 3-pointer as time expired, sending Williamstown to a 52-50 high school boys basketball victory over U-32 at the Corey Plante Memorial tournament on Friday night.
Manwaring finished with 24 points for the Division III defending champion Blue Devils (2-0). Devin Duff added 11 points.
“He’s one of the best players in the state. You just have to tip your cap to him,” U-32 coach Dan Gandin said of Manwaring, a senior.
Chris Collins scored 15 of his 22 points in the fourth quarter for 1-1 U-32.
* Hazen 64, Harwood 52: Craig Coultas’ 18 points led the way in Hazen’s win over Harwood at the Corey Plante Memorial tournament at U-32.
Hazen’s Alex Vetere chipped in 15 points and Devon Whipple tossed in 10. Wade Whitney (13 points) and Dominic Moreno (10) reached double figures for Harwood.
* Trinity Baptist 41, Websterville Baptist 35: T, Marcus Van Wyck scored 16 to lead Trinity past Websterville at Barre Auditorium.
Creighton North added nine points for Trinity (2-1). Websterville’s Wyatt Morrison tallied 14 points.
* Champlain Valley 45, Mount Abraham 25: Emily Kinneston scored 15 points and Champlain Valley led 25-9 at the break to topple host Mount Abraham in a battle of reigning state champions.
Nine players scored for the Redhawks (3-0).
Ashlie Fay paced Mount Abraham (1-1) with 10 points.
* Burlington 52, Colchester 45: Ilona Maher tallied 18 points, Ajla Medic 15 and Breanna Pidgeon 11 for host Burlington (2-0) as it held off a second-half rally by Colchester.
Jackie Nagle poured in 30 points to lead the Lakers (1-1), going 8 of 13 at the foul line.
* Essex 4, Spaulding 0: Cole Sheffert scored twice and Brock Paquette worked a 23-save shutout in Essex’s win over Spauding at the Doc Tulip Holiday Classic hosted by BFA-St. Albans.
Austin Theriault and Zac Godin also scored for Essex.
Spaulding’s Justin Laperle made 33 saves.