Seth Amstein slammed home the game-winning goal after a scrum in front of the net with just under a minute left to lift Milton to a 3-2 high school boys hockey win over Woodstock on Wednesday.
The two teams traded first-period goals, as Ben Orr of Woodstock (7-10) opened scoring and Brandon Cardinal of Milton (9-4-2) answered. Nick Donaldson put Woodstock ahead with 3:30 remaining in the third, but Amstein locked the game with 1:55 left and won it a minute later with help from Jackson Hickey (three assists) and Cardinal.
Brandon Rhoades made 12 saves for Milton, while Woodstock’s Brady Stewart made 14 stops.
* Champlain Valley 5, Rutland 2: Kaleb Godbout’s goal and two assists led a well-balanced scoring attack for the Redhawks as they handled Rutland at Cairns Arena.
Ryan Keelan, Elliot Mitchell, Hoyt McCuin and Brendan Gannon also scored for Champlain Valley, which improved to 10-3-3. Greg Talbert turned away 26 shots in the victory.
Tyler Slusarczyk provided both goals for Rutland (10-4-2) and teammate Nico Roy collected two assists while Jason MacFarlane made 22 saves.
* South Burlington 9, Middlebury 0: A five-goal second-period barrage carried South Burlington past Middlebury at Cairns Arena.
Tommy Royer, who reached 100 career points last week, scored twice in the second while Gabe Simpatico, Connor O’Toole, Matt Baechle and Connor Bradley each had one-goal, two-assist efforts for 14-2 South Burlington. Charles Hall (assist), Liam Nerber and Pierre Chacun also scored for the Rebels.
Noah Beatty worked the 12-save shutout.
Edger Sherman and Sawyer Ryan combined to stop 47 shots.
* North Country 3, BFA-St. Albans 2: Travis Tretault scored with four seconds left in the second period to break a 2-all deadlock and send North Country to a home win over BFA-St. Albans.
Ross Delabruere tallied a goal and an assist, Kody Halikis scored, and Chris Bronson made 17 saves for NCU (11-4-1).
Logan Lamothe and Nick Berno picked up goals for BFA. Andre Morin and Sean Hengemuhle combined for 18 saves.
* Spaulding 6, Missisquoi 5: Shane Hickey’s goal with six minutes left in the third period broke a deadlock and propelled Spaulding to a win at Missisquoi.
Mitchell Yacavoni scored twice for Spaulding, with Logan Safford, Jeff Roy and Jack McQuesten supplying the other goals. Ben Ferland made 18 saves for the Crimson Tide (6-8-2).
Nick Laroe picked up two goals for MVU, which led 4-3 after two periods. Donnie Muller and Jack Raleigh also scored for the Thunderbirds (4-11-1). Nate Muller turned back 25 shots.
* Harwood 2, Mount Mansfield 1: Ty Delphia’s third-period goal was the difference as Harwood escaped against Mount Mansfield at Essex.
Thomas Belknap got things started for Harwood in the first period and Delphia’s goal put Harwood up by two in the final frame.
Adam Oler scored on the power play with 1:40 remaining for Mount Mansfield (4-12) and goaltender Joe Airoldi kept the Cougars close with 23 saves.
Willy McGowan posted 22 saves for Harwood .
* South Burlington 3, Burr and Burton 0: Julia Hudson, Dayle Sargeant and Anne-Marie Farmer scored for Mount Mansfield-South Burlington in a win at Burr and Burton.
Courtney Peyko worked the 19-saves shutout for the Rebels (9-4-2), who scored in every period.
* BFA-St. Albans 4, Hartford 0: Danielle Schreiner’s first-period goal was enough for host BFA-St. Albans over Hartford.
Aliza Ellis added two goals and Kendra Williams put away the final tally in the third for the Bobwhites (12-2-2). Shanley Horrigan stopped 11 shots in goal.
Elizabeth Potter made 37 saves on 41 shots for Hartford.
* Harwood 2, Rice 0: Madison Woodard notched a goal and dished out an assist in the second-period as Harwood took down visiting Rice.
Katie Martin scored the insurance goal for Harwood (13-2-1) and Siena Damon posted a shutout with 16 saves.
Addie Stillman had 20 saves for the Green Knights (6-5-2).
* Middlebury 7, Woodstock 2: Six Middlebury players scored and the host Tigers built a 5-0 lead on their way to victory over Woodstock.
Lauren Bartlett turned in two goals and one assist for Middlebury (10-6), which also got single goals from Ali White, Caryanne Hawlett, Angela Carone, Erika Carroll and Harper Smith. Ali Sheldrick made two saves for Middlebury.
Delaney Little scored a pair of third-period goals for Woodstock (0-16), which received a 31-save performance from Erin Tortolano.
* Missisquoi 5, Champlain Valley 1: Five different players scored for Missisquoi as it rolled over Champlain Valley.
Mikaela Flanagan and Michela Martin each contributed a goal and an assist for Missisquoi. Kim Kosac, Katie Campbell and Caitlin Fortin contributed the other three goals for the Thunderbirds. Hannah Bockus compiled 31 saves between the pipes.
Rachel Pitcher had the goal for Champlain Valley and Laurel Hubbert-Severance stopped 24 shots.
* Spaulding 4, Essex 4: Kathleen Young and Taylor Hallowell each had two goals as Essex earned a tie with visiting Spaulding.
Hallowell and Young helped Essex (9-5-3) jump out to a 3-1 lead in the first-period, but Spaulding stormed back in the second.
Julia Ormsby, Emma Ferland and Ashley Pelkey had second-period goals for Spaulding. Ormsby also struck in the first for Spaulding (11-2-1).
Hallowell’s second tally was the final goal of the game early in the third-period.
Victoria Gibson notched 28 saves for Essex and Morgan Gosselin had 24 saves for Spaulding.
* Colchester 3, Rutland 1: Taylor Dion scored twice for Colchester as the Lakers defeated Rutland.
Kaley Campbell added a goal and Kellie Lockerby had two assists for the Lakers (10-5). Erika Hoffman turned back six shots for Colchester.
Sarah Hamilton had the lone goal for Rutland.
* Rivendell 72, South Royalton 48: Luke Bell tossed in 19 points for Rivendell who rolled at home against South Royalton.
Senior Jack Steketee added 12 points for the Raptors (12-3).
Nate Moore led South Royalton with 20 points.
* Craftsbury 46, Cabot 38: Kyle Adams collected 25 points in Craftsbury’s win over visiting Cabot.
Camden Celley topped Cabot with 10 points.
* Williamstown 90, Sharon 42: Jason Manwaring posted 32 points and snatched 15 rebounds as Williamstown stayed unbeaten on the road against Sharon.
Devin Duff had a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds, Hunter McLaughlin scored 14 points and Kyle Laughlin dropped in 10 for Williamstown (17-0).
Trenton Morrison led Sharon Academy with 19 points.
Twinfield 58, Blue Mountain 51: Brad Brickey had 17 points to lead Twinfield past Blue Mountain.
The Trojans (12-6) were able to hold Blue Mountain off after a nine-point lead at half with the help of David Codling (12 points) and Brandon Gibbs (10 points).
Blue Mountain had two players in double figures with Damian Smith racking up 13 points and teammates Chris Sevigney dropped in 10 points.
* Crafsbury 51, Cabot 17: Janet Bohannon dialed up 23 points to help Craftsbury power past visiting Cabot and improve to 14-4.