Ellen Gosselin’s second-period goal was enough to send Spaulding past Essex, 1-0, in a high school girls hockey showdown Wednesday.
Gabbie Gambler and Emma Ferland earned assists on Gosselin’s goal while Morgan Gosselin worked the eight-save shutout for the Crimson Tide (6-0), who killed off a trio of Essex power plays in the third period.
Victoria Gibson made 19 saves for Essex (4-4-1), which also lost to Spaulding 1-0 earlier this season.
* Mount Mansfield-South Burlington 1, Burr and Burton 0: Molly Burke fired in a goal in the last minute of the first period and MMU-SB held off Burr and Burton at Cairns Arena.
Sarah Fisher and Julia Hudson had the assists and Courtney Peyko finished with 15 saves for MMU-SB (5-3).
Meg Chandler turned back 18 shots for BBA (4-3-1).
* Harwood 3, U-32 1: Haley Spittle and Carrie Johnson had a goal and an assist apiece as host Harwood tallied in each period to get past U-32.
Kaylee Ferris also scored and Siena Damon made seven saves for 7-2-1 Harwood.
Natalie Lavigne struck for U-32 in the second period while Cheyenne Smith made 33 saves.
* BFA-St. Albans 5, Hartford 0: BFA-St. Albans jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the first period and never looked back in blanking host Hartford.
Erin Shuttle, Chelsea Ellis, Erin Tully, Danielle Schreiner and Sydney Chadwick scored for the Comets (5-2-1). Shanley Horrigan made eight saves.
Erin Hudson posted 36 stops for Hartford.
* Northfield 7, Brattleboro 1: Logan Lamb’s hat trick helped Northfield climb above .500 with a win over visiting Brattleboro.
Kristen Dukette added two goals while Erin Easton and Cassidy Engberg also tallied for Northfield (5-4), which also received six saves from Markie Delude.
Maddie Rollins scored and Alex Fellows made 52 saves for the Colonels.
* South Burlington 6, BFA-St. Albans 2: Gabe Simpatico and Eric Craig had a goal and an assist each as balanced South Burlington cruised past visiting BFA-St. Albans.
Brendan Lahue, Bernie Thibeault, Liam Nerber and Tommy Royer also scored for 6-1 South Burlington, which led 4-1 after the second period.
Cam Russell scored twice, each on Nick Berno assists, to pace BFA.
Andre Morin and Sean Hengemuhle combined for 35 saves for the Bobwhites. Noah Beatty turned away 23 shots for the Rebels.
* Champlain Valley 4, Spaulding 3: Jack Hall knocked in two goals as Champlain Valley established a 4-1 lead in a furious-paced third period and held on to edge visiting Spaulding.
Jeremy Lerner and Hoyt McCuin picked up the other goals for CVU (5-2-1) and Greg Talbert made 14 saves.
Garrett Keltry, Jeff Roy and Alex French scored for Spaulding in a game that featured five goals in the third period. Ben Ferland made nine saves for the Crimson Tide.
* Middlebury 1, Essex 1: Middlebury’s Nick Audet scored in the second period to counter Essex’s Jack Cabanaw’s first-period strike as the teams settled for a tie.
Sawyer Ryan turned away 25 shots for Middlebury (3-2-1). Brock Poquette had 16 stops for Essex (5-1-1).
* Rice 3, Stowe 1: Eric Morin, Alex Morse and Sean Remillard notched goals to lead Rice past visiting Stowe.
Jamie Cruickhsank recorded 14 saves to earn his first career win for Rice (2-6).
Stowe’s Chad Haggerty scored and Dylan Whitaker posted 28 saves.
* U-32 6, Harwood 2: Jordan Jones pumped in two of his four goals during a decisive third-period barrage to propel host U-32 to its eighth straight win at Harwood’s expense.
With the Raiders (8-1) holding a 3-2 lead heading into the third period, U-32’s Shane O’Neil (two goals, two assists) scored once and Jones added two more insurance tallies. The teams had traded two goals apiece over a first-period flurry, with Harwood’s Erik Bertalan (one goal, one assist) giving his team its last lead at 2-1.
Jordan Blais made 10 saves for U-32 while Willy McGowan racked up 33 stops for the Highlanders (3-3-1).
* Northfield 4, Woodstock 0: Jackson Tucker fired in two goals to help visiting Northfield run its winning streak to five games at Woodstock’s expense.
Matt Murray and Jackson Watson also scored for the Marauders (5-2-1) and Ben Tucker made 15 saves.
Brady Stewart blocked 25 shots for Woodstock (2-6).
* North Country 7, Mount Mansfield 3: Ross DeLaBruere stacked up four goals and two assists as North Country bounced back from its first loss of the season by dispatching Mount Mansfield.
Adam Viens and Devin Tebeault also scored and Chase LaCourse made 15 saves for North Country, which fell to South Burlington over the weekend.
Nils Meisterling led MMU with two goals and an assist. Justin Decatur had the other goal and Joe Airoldi posted 37 saves.
* Brattleboro 5, St. Johnsbury 0: Andy Harris collected two goals and an assist, and Brattleboro cruised past visiting St. Johnsbury to improve to 8-1.
Evan Perkins, Nik Rancourt and Adam Griffin also scored, Jimmy Podlaski dished out two assists and Greg DiSilva made 18 saves for the Colonels.
Ben Greenstein stopped 31 shots for SJA (3-4).
* Rivendell 66, Oxbow 53: Nate Eastman scored 15 points, Cole Stever added 13 points and host Rivendell topped Oxbow.
Caleb Lafaille’s 14 points and Andrew Lyman’s 12 points paced Oxbow.
* Twinfield 94, Sharon 39: Twinfield’s David Codling poured in 27 points and three of his teammates joined him in double figures as the Trojans cruised past visiting Sharon.
Brandon Gibbs (15 points), Caleb Begnoche (12) and Brad Brickey (10) contributed to the win for Twinfield (5-3). Sharon was led by Trenton Morrison (13 points) and Ben Gross (eight).