Five local wrestlers wound up with top-eight All-State podium finishes on Saturday on the third and final day of the MHSAA State Individual Finals meet at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
With fifth-place finishes were:
* Lakeview senior Rodney Harvey at 189 pounds in Division 1. Harvey lost in the consolation bracket semifinals 3-2 to Wyoming’s Jack Rozema, but then won the fifth-place match against Allen Steele of Livonia Franklin, 3-2. Harvey finished his season with a record of 56-4. As a junior, Harvey was also an all-stater as he stood on the podium with a fourth-place finish.
* Bronson senior Hunter Machus at 125 pounds in Division 4. Machus defeated Jonesville’s Carter Ball 9-2 in the fifth-place match. He finished his campaign with a record of 48-7.
* And, Bronson senior Leo Mora at 171 pounds in Division 4. Mora downed Decatur’s Jason Nash 5-3 in the fifth-place match. He ended his final prep season with a record of 39-8.
And, with eight-place finishes were:
* Bronson senior Dan Erwin at 160 pounds in Division 4. Erwin lost in the seventh-place match to Constantine’s Tommy Reed via a pin in 1:14. Erwin completed his senior season with a record of 27-12.
* And, Bronson sophomore Kahle Scheenks at 130 pounds in Division 4. Scheenks was upended in the seventh-place match by Hesperia’s David Jacobs, 5-2. He ended the season with an overall record of 36-19.