After a DeSales 3-pointer sent the game into overtime, Iroquois took control Monday night in the extra period during the first round of the boys’ 22nd District basketball tournament.
The Raiders outscored the Colts 18-8 in overtime to win 64-54 and advance.
Iroquois was up by three points with three seconds left in regulation, but DeSales’ Nick Phillips sank a 3-pointer as time expired to tie the score and send it into overtime.
The Raiders (17-13) then hit free throws to make the difference.
“In overtime we got turnovers, and made our free throws to win the game,” said Iroquois assistant coach Scott Tandy.
Derio Little led Iroquois with 22 points. Mike Bowling contributed a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
Nathan Roush led DeSales (16-14) with 24 points.
Iroquois will play Doss today at 6 p.m. in the semifinals.
* Trinity 79, Atherton 56: The host Shamrocks (25-5) used gritty defense to defeat the Rebels (8-16) in the 27th District semifinals.
Trinity forced 27 Atherton turnovers. The Rocks’ James Quick had seven steals to go along with his 16 points. Darryl Hicks of Trinity was the leading scorer with 21 points.
Nick Overley lead Atherton with 17 points. Trinity will face Seneca on Wednesday at 7 p.m. for the 27th District title.
* Valley 63, Beth Haven 41: The Vikings (7-14) outscored the Bearcats (10-18) in the second and third quarters 29-14 to cruise to a first-round win in the 21st District at Fairdale.
Delrico Farris paved the way for Valley, going for a game-high 19 points. Leading Beth Haven was freshman Brandon Cranford with 13 points. Valley will take on PRP at 7:30 p.m. in the semifinals.
* Bullitt Central 54, Evangel 33: Brett Bourland notched a double-double, finishing with 13 points and 11 rebounds, as the Cougars (10-19) cruised past the Eagles (6-19) in the first round of the 23rd District at North Bullitt. Zack Humphrey led Bullitt Central with a game-high 15 points. Bullitt Central will play Moore at 6 p.m today in the semis.
* Shawnee 61, St. Francis 42: LaCari Edmonson scored 13 points to lead the Redhawks (3-23) past the Wyverns (6-19). Ahman Holman chipped in 12 points for Shawnee. Anthony Perry paced St. Francis with a game-high 14 points. Shawnee will face Central today at 6 p.m. in the semis.
* Whitefield Academy 36, Fern Creek 34: The Wildcats (13-14) used a 16-7 edge in the fourth quarter to rally past the host Tigers (8-19) in the 24th District first round at Fern Creek.
Kelsey Blackwell, who led Whitefield with 20 points, hit two free throws with 37 seconds left to give the Wildcats a 35-34 lead.
Though Whitefield won the game at the free-throw line, it hit only 15 of 38 there and just 9 of 23 in the fourth quarter. Vonnie Thomas led Fern Creek with 13 points. Whitefield will face Mercy today at 6 p.m. in the semis.
* Fairdale 51, Beth Haven 30: Narissa Keown poured in 25 points to lead the host Lady Bulldogs (4-24) over the Lady Bearcats (6-20) in the 21st District at Fairdale. Brown and Alexis Bowles each had 12 points for Beth Haven. Fairdale will play PRP today at 6 p.m. in the semis.