Sierra Cummings went 2-for-4 with three RBIs as the Colchester High School softball team posted an 8-1 win over Burlington on Friday to advance to its first semifinal in 20 years.
Emi Eakin tossed a complete game with 11 strikeouts, three hits and four walks to earn the win. Eakin also went 2-for-3 with an RBI and Merenda Turner and Allie Crammond (RBI) also had two hits for the second-seeded Lakers (16-2).
Erica Lyon had two hits for eigth-seeded Burlington and losing pitcher Olivia Maher allowed 12 hits and six walks in six innings.
Div. II baseball
* (3) Lamoille 10, (6) Lyndon 4: Jack Thompson collected three hits and three RBIs and host Lamoille overcame a 3-0 first-inning deficit in topping Lyndon.
Eric Hoadley added two hits and Nick Lynch doubled for the Lancers (16-1), who scored two in the second, four in the third and three in the fourth to take control. Nate Lynch earned the win.
Davies Guyer and Ben Brooks had two hits apiece and James Shufelt was the losing pitcher for Lyndon (11-6).
Div. IV baseball
* (3) Danville 15, Whitcomb 0 (5): Brett Elliott tossed a no-hitter with 11 strikeouts and host Danville advanced.
Elliott also doubled and homered and drove in three runs for the Indians, who closed out the win with a seven-run fifth
Jake Mills added two hits and four RBIs and Eric Remick also collected two hits while driving in a pair of runs.
Div. I girls lacrosse
* (1) South Burlington 18, (8) Champlain Valley 7: Allie Flaherty tallied five goals and an assist, Anne-Marie Farmer put in three goals and an assist, and host South Burlington used a first-half blitz to eliminate Champlain Valley.
Sarah Fisher and Shannon Flaherty each had two goals and an assist and Ashley Norris also struck twice for the Rebels (14-0), who led 12-1 at the break. Emily Camardo, Elise Mench, Grace Johnson amd XiXi Halvorson-Phelan also tallied.
Brenna Gorman (three goals), Kate Raszka (goal) and Anne Spector (goal) made up CVU’s scoring.
South Burlington’s Courtney Barrett (five saves) and Alex Warshaw (one) combined to make the same number of saves as CVU’s Sarah Caffry.
* (2) Middlebury 14, (7) Mount Mansfield 7: Sophia Peluso supplied three goals and an assist — one of five players with at least two goals — and host Middlebury doubled up Mount Mansfield.
Julia Rosenberg (two goals, assist), Emily Robinson (two goals, assist), Emily Kiernan (two goals, assist) and Katie Holmes (two goals) also stood out for the Tigers. Emma Best (assist), Kiera Kirkaldy (assist) and Julia Cluss rounded out Middlebury’s scoring.
Marina Bowie had a first-half hat trick and Jess Glen scored both of her goals after the break to lead MMU. Alison Chivers tallied a goal and an assist and Elena Newborough also struck for the Cougars.
Middlebury’s Baily Ryan made 11 saves and MMU’s Colby Knight stopped five.
* (5) Brattleboro 8, (4) Essex 7: Hannah Lynde scored the winner with two minutes left in regulation, lifting Brattleboro past visiting Essex.
Megan Siggins supplied a hat trick to pace the Colonels..
Kathleen Young and Charlotte Stuart led Essex (9-8) with hat tricks.
Div. II girls lacrosse
* (3) BFA-St. Albans 15, (6) Oxbow 3: Kate Dillon put in four goals and host BFA-St. Albans dispatched Oxbow.
Leilani King had a hat trick and Aly Hardy added two goals for BFA, which led 9-1 at the break.
Emily Speck led Oxbow with two goals.
* U-32 11, (8) Woodstock 8: Kristen Keene picked up three goals and three assists and Nicole Lavigne scored three goals as host U-32 slipped past Woodstock.
Maggie Lague and Cilla Wanzer each contributed two goals for U-32 (16-0) and Lindsay Braun made three saves.
Woodstock, which was paced by Jocelyn Werle’s two goals, cut U-32’s early 5-1 lead to 6-4 by intermission and 7-6 during the second half. Megan Dalton made two saves for the Wasps (8-10).
Div. I boys lacrosse
(2) Mount Anthony 10, (7) Mount Mansfield 3: Avery Peck finished with five goals, and Mount Anthony roared to a 5-0 halftime lead in dispatching visiting Mount Mansfield to reach the semifinals for the second straight year.
Josh Walker paced MMU with two goals, one coming 45 seconds into the second half before Mount Anthony regained momentum with Peck’s tally less than a minute later. Carter Glenn added a goal and two assists and Chris Walker dished out two assists for Mount Mansfield (10-8).
Briar Wilkinson supplied two goals for Mount Anthony (15-2) and Ben Faller posted 17 saves.
* (4) Brattleboro 11, (5) Middlebury 9: Sam Siegel produced three goals and two assists and host Brattleboro built a cushion early in the fourth quarter to fend off Middlebury.
Brennen Zolnoski, Tanner Freeman and Conner Elliot-Knaggs each scored twice for Brattleboro, which led 6-2 at the break. Devon Avery and Nik Rancourt also tallied and Romello Lindsey made 24 saves for the Colonels (13-4).
Connor Quinn tallied three goals and an assist while Sam Usilton (assist) and Christian Higgins each scored twice for the Tigers, who used a third-quarter surge to slice into the halftime deficit.
Nathan Lalonde was in net for Middlebury (11-6).
Div. II boys lacrosse
* (2) Colchester 17, (7) Montpelier 6: Quinn Trabulsy registered six goals and three assists and host Colchester used a nine-goal first quarter to surge ahead of Montpelier.
Josh Gervais added five goals and an assist and Colby Blondin and Henry Butler (assist) each scored twice for the Lakers. Calvin Brault (goal, two assists), Jake Stebbins (goal, assist) and Kevin Lynch (three assists) also contributed.
Colchester’s Barry Bergeron turned away seven shots.
Ben Estes and Colin O’Meara each tallied twice for Montpelier.
* (1) Lamoille 11, (8) Milton 2: Bennett Anderson racked up four goals, Marcus Wadlington added three goals and an assist and host Lamoille rolled past Milton.
John Sciortino (assist), Leo Wrighton and Chad Aiken also tallied while Thomas Meyer turned away a dozen shots for the Lancers (16-1).
Sam Noel and Ian Pelkey had Milton’s goals and Eric Wilcox made 14 saves.