Matt Federation had three goals to lead the Dryden boys’ lacrosse team to a 9-7 victory over Owego in Section 4 action Thursday at Volante Field.
Joe DeLucia added two goals and two assists for the Purple Lions (3-8), while Jordan Zehr chipped in a goal and three assists. Dryden outscored the Indians, 3-1, in the second quarter to take a 6-4 halftime lead.
Nate Walker made 11 saves for Dryden, which outshot Owego, 34-30, and had a 29-22 edge in ground balls. Dryden also had a 10-7 edge in faceoffs, and converted four of six man-up chances.
Taylor Harris had five goals, including Owego’s final four, and Nick Figuerado made 19 saves for the visitors.
Dryden hosts Elmira Notre Dame at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
* Dryden 14, Groton 1: The Purple Lions (8-5 overall, 8-2 IAC) scored nine runs in the first two innings and cruised to victory Thursday over the Indians.
John Whitmore picked up his second win of the season, yielding one earned run on four hits while striking out 12 in six innings. Justen Geddes went 3-for-4 and scored twice and Alan Davis belted a three-run homer in the Lions’ six-run second inning. The Purple Lions pounded out 10 hits in all.
Zach Diedrickson went three innings and took the loss for Groton.
* Tioga 24, Candor 2: Ryan Vergason went 3-for-4 with four RBIs and scored twice as Tioga routed Candor in an Interscholastic Athletic Conference game.
Carter Jackson allowed three hits and struck out five to improve to 2-0 for the Tigers.
* Waverly 32, Odessa-Montour 5: Cody Marchese went 6-for-7 with five RBIs and Dylan Perry went 3-for-3 with four RBIs as part of Waverly’s 26-hit barrage.
Waverly pitchers combined for 15 strikeouts, with Patrick Bronson striking out nine in three innings.
* Notre Dame 14, Watkins Glen 3: At Watkins Glen, Sam Bruner, Parker May, Hunter Thomas and Wyatt Martin had three hits apiece as the Crusaders rolled to an IAC victory.
Aaron Carson added two hits and four RBIs for Notre Dame (10-4, 7-2 IAC). Martin drove in three runs, and Thomas and Bruner had two RBIs each.
* Groton 11, Dryden 8: Ruthanne Forehand had an RBI double in the second and Tiffany James had a two-run triple in the fourth on Thursday as Groton edged Dryden.
Katie Vanbenschoten gave up five hits and struck out five for the Indians.
* Elmira Notre Dame 8, Watkins Glen 1: Elmira Notre Dame’s Allie Raupers went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI as Elmira Notre Dame stopped Watkins Glen in an IAC contest.
Alaina Steadman went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored and Alivia Clarks struck out nine for the Crusaders.
* Tioga 16, Candor 1: Pitcher Sam Wood had a two-run double in the second inning, scored twice, and and also struck out seven as Tioga routed Candor.
Brit Vergason had an RBI double in the fourth and scored two runs for the Tigers.
* Trumansburg 191, Whitney Point 225: Dan Lapp fired a 4-under 31 to outduel Whitney Point’s Mitchell Edson as the Blue Raiders cruised past the Eagles at Ford Hill G.C. in Whitney Point.
Tony Mekos added a 38 for the winners. Edson led Whitney Point with a 1-under 34.
* Lansing 212, Union Springs 231: Clint Herzog fired a 2-over 38 and teammate John Losurdo finished one shot back as the Bobcats topped the Wolves by 19 strokes on Thursday at Indian Head Golf Course in Cayuga.
Cole Bowen shared medalist honors with a 38 for host Union Springs.