Senior Ruthanne Forehand scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning and also earned the win to power host Groton to a 5-4 win over Union Springs on Monday afternoon in Interscholastic Athletic Conference small school softball.
In the seventh, Forehand reached on an error, stole second, and advanced to third on a sacrifice from Alex Querella. Forehand then scored on a passed ball to lift the Indians (7-3).
Forehand scattered seven hits and stuck out six. She retired the final six batters.
Steffanie Preston hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth inning to tie the game at 4-4. Preston also tripled earlier in the game.
Marisa Valentino tripled in the fifth and scored on a sacrifice for the Wolves (8-2). Valentino scattered five hits over seven innings.
Querella singled twice for Groton.
“It was such a good team win,” Groton coach John D’Antonio said. “They are such a well-coached team that always plays hard. To beat them is a great step in the right direction.”
* Tioga 9, END 6: Adam Layman’s bases-loaded double fueled a six-run fifth inning for host Tioga (8-3), which had four of its five hits in that inning. Sam Bruner and Hunder Thomas had three hits apiece for Notre Dame.
* Newfield 7, Watkins Glen 6: Leif Pakkala’s RBI single in the bottom of the seventh scored Myles Garcia from second base, and the overthrow on the play at the plate brought catcher Zak Mosher all the way home from first as the Trojans scored the come-from-behind victory. Pakkala finished 2-for-3, while Mickey Beach pitched the victory.
* Union-Endicott 9, Ithaca 5: The visiting Tigers scored three times in the third inning and twice more in the fifth to take a 7-2 lead and hung on. Garrett Waddell went six innings and took the loss for Ithaca (2-7), which travels to Vestal on Wednesday.
IAC boys golf
* Odessa-Montour 246, Spencer-Van Etten 266: At Catatonk, Tyler Clark shot a four-over-par 40 to medal for Odessa-Montour. Tyler Goosen had a 42 for O-M. Travis Holman led Spencer-Van Etten with a 45.
* Ithaca 6, Horseheads 0: The Little Red improved to 10-0 with the rain-shortened victory. The third singles match was not completed.
* Owego 14, Dryden 2: The Indians grabbed a 10-0 halftime lead and cruised to victory. Marissa Ramos made 16 saves for Dryden, which got goals from Margaret Cole and Elizabeth Waters.