Friday’s best in High School sports:
* Zach Finnegan and Jared Gjertson both scored 14 points as the D.C. Everest boys basketball team claimed sole possession of second place in the Wisconsin Valley Conference with a 38-26 win over Wausau West.
* Taylor Suda was the only scorer in double figures with 10 points as Greenwood downed Columbus Catholic 30-27 in a defensive struggle on Friday. Greenwood scored just 10 second half points, but held on for the victory.
* David Jesperson scored 14 points and Jake Anderson added 12 in Merrill‘s 47-43 win over Wausau East on Friday. Conrad Felten scored 17 and hit three 3-pointers for the Lumberjacks and Cole Nelson chipped in 10.
* Monica Verkuilen scored 22 points and nailed six 3-pointers to help give the Wittenberg girls a 75-55 win over Pacelli Friday. Taylor Bushman had 14 points and Mikayla Hartnett added 13 for the Chargers. Marisa Rice (26 points) was the top scorer for Pacelli and Anna Lensmire grabbed a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
* Evan Pagel (20 points) and Austin Bunders (19 points) combined for 39 points to lift Almond-Bancroft to a 56-49 victory over Marion in Central Wisconsin Conference-10 action.
* Dex DePasse had a game-high 23 points as Wisconsin Valley Lutheran defeated Stockbridge 60-48. The Wolves outscored Stockbridge 38-25 in the second half.
* Jay Ritger and Andy Maas each had 20 points and Maas canned 10 of 12 free throws in the second half including seven of eight in the final quarter as Mosinee clipped Lakeland 52-43 in Great Northern Conference action.
* Marcus Jensen scored 18 points and Ryan Makuski narrowly missed a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds as Amherst earned a share of the Central Wisconsin Conference-8 title with Wittenberg-Birnamwood with a 79-53 victory over Manawa.