Manitowoc Lincoln sophomore Bailey Budnik set the bar high after finishing with a 31-2 record as a freshman, but the 2013 HTR Media All-Area girls tennis Athlete of the Year did just that.
Budnik (29-5) made up for a few more losses this season by becoming a better all-around player according to coach Jacques Verbauwhede.
“Bailey had a super season,” Verbauwhede said of his No. 1 singles player. “She was very successful because her game improved in all aspects.”
Among Budnik’s accomplishments this season was winning the WIAA State Division 1 sectional and, according to Verbauwhede almost as important, beating Green Bay East’s Valentina Gisbert for the Fox River Classic Conference No. 1 singles title.
Earlier in the season, Gisbert beat Budnik but with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win Budnik wrapped up the FRCC title and player of the year award.
“Bailey was motivated to play better that day,” Verbauwhede said of the matchup between the top two seeds. “She wanted to prove she was the better player and best in the conference. She did that.”
As Budnik returns for her junior season, Verbauwhede says Budnik is hoping to advance even further at State when she won two matches as an unranked player.
“I’m looking forward to having Bailey back,” Verbauwhede said. “I think she’ll continue to make progress and has a great chance to go even farther at State.”
HTR Media All-Area Girls Tennis
* Bailey Budnik (29-5), so., Manitowoc Lincoln (Player of the Year)
* Tallie Piaskowski (22-4), so., Roncalli
* Laura Platteter (16-5), sr., Roncalli
* Chloe Kitzerow (20-3), jr., Roncalli
* Hannah Kubsh, jr.,-Maddie Salutz, so., (11-10), Roncalli
* Sydney Verbauwhede, so.,-Michaela Jagemann, sr., (19-12), Manitowoc Lincoln
* Justine Jacobs, jr., -Hannah Ramminger jr., (24-5), Manitowoc Lincoln