Union County leads the team scoring after the first day of the Kentucky high school state wrestling meet in Lexington.
Union County has 80.5 points. Defending champion Campbell County is second with 74.5. St. Xavier is third with 70.5, followed by Trinity (60) and Simon Kenton (57). Moore (54.5), Johnson Central (53), Oldham County (52.5), Woodford County (49.5) and Ryle (46) round out the top 10.
Among the Metro-area wrestlers advancing to today’s quarterfinals were Justin Lampe of St. Xavier, ranked No. 1 by KentuckyWrestling.com in the 145-pound class; and Trinity’s Bobby Bryant, ranked No. 1 at 285.
Wrestling state championships
Metro wrestlers competing in the championship quarters in their respective classes are:
* 106 – Jorge Vega (Fern Creek), A.J. Bindner (St. Xavier)
* 113 – Brady Emerson (Oldham County)
* 120 – Max Korfhage (St. Xavier), Bobby Poynter (Moore), Keegan Duncan (Trinity)
* 126 – Hudson Heidorf (Trinity), John Shirkey (Oldham County)
* 132 – Jesus Rosado (Moore), Connor Wilkerson (Oldham County), Ben Barton (Trinity)
* 138 – Chad Edwards (PRP), Ian Kahl (Trinity)
* 145 – Lampe, Alvaro Aguilar (PRP)
* 152 – Clayton Smith (Trinity), Nick Mcintosh (Oldham County), Dominic Lampe (St. Xavier)
* 160 – Gabriel French (St. Xavier), Mitch Rusch (North Oldham)
* 170 – Noah Bauer (St. Xavier), Sam Willbanks (Moore), Sean Barrett (Southern)
* 182 – Brandon Pledger (St. Xavier)
* 195 – Justin McDaniel (Moore), Thomas Noe (Southern), Konner Thompson (Holy Cross)
* 220 – Anthony Jennings (Fairdale)
* 285 – Bryant, Mike Caudill (Oldham County)
Competition begins today at 9:30 a.m. in both the championship and consolation rounds. The finals begin at 7 p.m.