The Mount Mansfield Union High School field hockey team exploded for three second-half goals on the way to its first win of the season, 4-0, over visiting Colchester on Thursday.
The Cougars (1-3) carried a 1-0 lead into halftime, thanks to a tally by Jordyn Gofflin (Louanntha Benoit assist). Gofflin returned the favor by assisting Benoit’s goal early in the second half, and insurance scores from Kristin Gandini and Hattie Hevrin sealed the victory.
Julia Preston and Jordynn Chandler combined on goalie duties to earn the shutout for MMU, while Eva Duvic racked up 31 saves for Colchester (1-4).
* Essex 6, Burlington 0: Essex capped a five-goal, first-half barrage with three tallies in as many minutes to help hammer out a shutout win over visiting Burlington.
Paige Mittl scored two goals, the first and the sixth for Essex (2-1-2). Abbie Evans, Kathleen Young, Sarah Smith and Allie Rutz also scored for the Hornets, who got assists from Young (2), Cristina Tellez, Alex Celia and Siena Teare. Maria Grant and Mady Corkum shared the shutout in goal for Essex.
Monika Ingalls made 10 saves for Burlington (1-2-1).
* Winooski 8, Richford 1: Ganesh Rai socked home four goals to help lift Winooski to a win over host Richford.
Abdikhafar Yussuf scored twice for Winooski, which also got single goals from Jabril Abdullahi and Eh Man. Ashok Gurung made 10 saves for the Spartans (3-1).
Ethan Letendre scored and Matteo Mosotto and Caleb Bapp combined for 17 saves for Richford (0-2).
* Mount Abraham 2, Vergennes 1 (2OT): Ethan White scored two minutes into the second overtime period to lift Mount Abraham to a win in the first game of the JP Carrara Tournament in Middlebury.
Vergennes (1-3) took the lead in the first half when Liam Godfrey redirected a corner kick. Dylan Raymond made seven stops for the Commodores.
Rider MacCrellish tied the game for Mount Abraham in the second half.
Aiden White-Pifer assisted on both goals for the Eagles (5-0).
* Twin Valley 4, Fair Haven 0: Colin Lozito had a hat trick to help Twin Valley to a win over Fair Haven.
Dal Nesbitt added a goal and two assists for Twin Valley (4-0).
Nick Boule made 18 saves in net for Fair Haven, whileSam Molner made three saves for Twin Valley.
* Proctor 2, Woodstock 0: Abby McKearin steered a direct kick into the goal in each half to propel visiting Proctor past Woodstock.
Alysa Valerio racked up 12 saves to earn the shutout for Proctor (2-3).
Kaila Lemmer turned in eight saves for Woodstock (3-2).
College field hockey
* St. Michael’s 6, Franklin Pierce 4: St. Michael’s pushed out to a five-goal lead by halftime en route to a 6-4 win over Franklin Pierce.
Megan Deschaine scored twice for the Purple Knights (2-3), while Kelly Celata and Cassaundra Davis each notched a goal and an assist. Hannah Beardsley and Samantha Burns also scored, and Jackie Chisholm stopped seven shots.
Amy Zahensky made four saves to take the loss for Franklin Pierce (1-4). Alesia Gleason, Chanelle Letarte, Rachel Deneault and Erin Turner scored for the Ravens.
In the final three minutes, Chisholm turned away a pair of shots, including one off of a penalty corner, to help the Purple Knights hang on for the win.
St. Michael’s returns home to face fifth-ranked LIU Post on Saturday at 11 a.m.