Thirty-one local swimmers and divers headed into the pools on Friday for the preliminary rounds of the Michigan High School Athletic Association’s Boys’ Swimming & Diving Championships.
Going into today’s consolation finals and championship finals rounds, an even dozen locals will wind up earning top-16 all-state medals.
Heading Friday’s list of top preliminary-round qualifiers was Marshall High sophomore Henry Swett, the defending Division 3 1-meter diving champ, who is in first place after Day 1 of the D-3 finals at Eastern Michigan University with 204.60 points. Trailing Swett heading into today’s final round of dives are second-place Adam Littell of Hamilton with 191.15 points, third-place Shane Lonergan of Holland Christian with 190.95 points and fourth-place Jacob Corl of Dundee with 190.40 points.
Also during today’s final round of the D-3 finals at Eastern Michigan University, Harper Creek senior Clark Sanford will be in the championship finals (top eight) of the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle events. On Friday, Sanford qualified eighth in the 50 in a time of 21.96 (first was Milan’s Ollie Smith in a D-3 record time of 20.92); and he qualified seventh in the 100 in 48.18 (first was Chelsea’s David Alday at 47.13). Last year, Sanford finished second at state in the 50 freestyle.
Additionally today in Ypsilanti, Harper Creek’s 200 freestyle relay unit of juniors Luke Lightcap, Jerrod Lepper and Jeff Mann, along with Sanford, will be in the consolation finals (ninth-through-16th place) after qualifying 11th Friday in a time of 1:30.84.
As a team, Harper Creek went into the weekend’s state finals ranked honorable mention in D-3.
Meanwhile, at the Division 2 finals at Oakland University in Rochester, Lakeview will have three competitors in four championship finals events, and the Spartans will also be involved in four other consolation finals events.
Leading the way for Lakeview on Friday was sophomore John Vann, who qualified fourth in the 200 freestyle in 1:42.92 (first was Holland’s Thomas Rathbun in 1:40.62); and fourth in the 100 butterfly in 51.52 (first was Holland’s Gage Mitchell in 51.02).
Plus, freshman Scott Carstens qualified fifth in the 100 backstroke in 53.06 (first was Holland’s Kyle Doss at 51.05); and junior Jake Budd was in eighth place in 1-meter diving with 174.85 points.
In the consolation finals today for Lakeview — ranked No. 7 in D-2 — will be the 200 medley relay unit of Carstens, senior Jacob Baize, senior Nathan Belson and senior Hayden Marlowe, which qualified 15th in 1:41.54; junior A.J. Cariuty, who qualified 14th in the 500 freestyle in 4:52.98; the 200 freestyle relay of Vann, senior Zach Myers, Marlowe and Cariuty, which qualified 10th in 1:29.16; and the 400 freestyle relay squad of Vann, Cariuty, Carstens and Marlowe, which was 12th on Friday in 3:15.64.
Following is a rundown of locals who competed Friday but did not advance to Saturday’s consolation or championship finals, by event:
* 200 freestyle: 19-Cariuty, 1:46.83; 36-Matt Paxhia, Sr., 1:51.32; 38-Casey Butler, Sr., 1:51.47.
* 200 individual medley: 22-Z. Myers, 2:04.34.
* 1-meter diving: 28-Wes Wever, Sr., 134.80 points.
* 100 butterfly: 34-Belson, 56.23.
* 100 freestyle: 32-Marlowe, 50.23.
* 500 free: 26-Butler, 4:58.64; 32-Paxhia, 5:03.02.
* 100 backstroke: 19-Z. Myers, 55.85; 24-Sam Myers, Fr., 56.68; 35-Tabor Smyth, Fr., 57.73; 50-Nick Walker, Sr., 58.15.
* 200 medley relay: 20-Harper Creek, 1:46.05 (Brandon Summers Miller Sr., Mann, Lepper, Sanford). 21-Marshall, 1:46.23 (Levi Graves So, Bryce Banfield Jr., Mack Preston Sr., Tyler MacFarland Jr.).
* 200 freestyle: 25-Stuart Murch, Sr. (M) 1:51.81.
* 200 individual medley: 20-Mann (HC) 2:05.32.
* 1-meter diving: 26-Kyle Weck, Jr. (M) 140.45 points.
* 100 butterfly: 22-Lepper (HC) 56.77.
* 100 freestyle: 37-Murch (M) 51.36.
* 500 freestyle: Lou Barea, Sr. (HC) 5:07.97.
* 200 freestyle relay: 20-Marshall 1:34.03 (Jack Herman Jr., MacFarland, Murch, Preston).
* 100 backstroke: 43-Josh Turner, So. (M) 1:00.91.
* 100 breaststroke: 26-Mann (HC) 1:04.73; 27-Banfield (M) 1:04.74.
* 400 freestyle relay: 22-Marshall 3:31.58 (Murch, MacFarland, Turner, Preston).