Sport: Boys Track & Field
High School: Gibbs High School
City: St. Petersburg, Fla.
Read More: Introducing … Trayvon Bromell
Bromell is the fastest American prep ever in the 100 under all conditions. Bound for Baylor, he won a pair of national championships this spring and at the time of his selection represented one of just 21 men worldwide to run under 10 seconds in the event this year, including guys named Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay. Bromell national-best, wind-legal time of 10.27 in May ranks as one of the Top 25 prep times in history.
- Won the 100-meter dash at the Great Southwest Classic this spring with a time of 9.99 seconds, becoming the first American prep to run subl-10.0 regardless of wind conditions
- Won the 100-meter dash in 10.47 at the USA Junior Outdoor Championships.
- Won the 100-meter dash in 10.41 at the New Balance Nationals Outdoor, also taking silver in the 200-meter dash in 20.91
- Owns the U.S. No. 1 wind-legal clocking in the 100 among prep competitors (10.27), which ranks No. 22 all-time
- Owns the nation’s No. 8 prep time in the 200 in 2013
- Won the 100 at the Class 3A state championship meet in 10.45, also anchoring the Gladiators’ 4×100 relay quartet to first in 42.26 and earning silver in the 200
- Clocked second-fastest 100 time ever recorded at the junior level, worldwide (Mark Lewis-Francis of Great Britain ran the 100 in 9.97 in 2001)
- Anchored Team Florida 4×100 relay squad to nation’s fastest all-prep time in 2013 (40.11) at Great Southwest Classic
- Silver medalist in 100 at 2012 FHSAA Track & Field Finals
- Finished fifth at the Adidas Dream 100
- Volunteer at the St. Petersburg Boys & Girls Club
- Member of the Born Eagles—Gibbs High peer leadership program
- Mentor and instructor at the Lightning Bolt Track Club
- Retail clerk at Tilly’s in Tyrone Square Mall
“To be honest, when I came into track, I was pretty big-headed about it. I thought a lot of myself. But my family and my coaches told me, ‘There’s a better way.’ I feel so much better now that I realized it’s not all about me. I just stay humble and then everything that happens is a blessing, not an expectation.”