BARRE – Evan Grubb made a pair of free throws with 24 seconds left in overtime as No. 6 Spaulding fended off No. 11 Champlain Valley, 50-48, in a back-and-forth, Division I boys basketball quarterfinal game Tuesday.
Grubb finished with 10 points, including 5 of 6 from the line in OT, while Marcus Thornton led Spaulding with a dozen points and Harris Bailey tallied seven of his 11 in the fourth quarter. Spaulding secured the win after snatching an offensive rebound off a missed free throw as time expired.
Brad Bissonette had 19 points for CVU, which trailed 24-18 at the half.
* (1) Vergennes 51, (16) Milton 32: Undefeated Vergennes jumped out to a 24-6 halftime lead in a win over Milton.
Shep Carter and Brendon Huestis each had 11 points for Vergennes (21-0).
Eric Menard had 11 points to pace Milton (3-18).
* (4) U-32 75, (13) Bellows Falls 45: Kyler Weaver tossed in 28 points as U-32 defeated Bellows Falls.
Ryan Booth had 18 points and Chris Collins added 13 points for U-32 (15-6).
Trevor Wilson had 17 points for Bellows Falls (7-14) and Kendrick Mills had 11 points.
* (2) Thetford 66, (15) Oxbow 50: Ian Weider poured in 20 points and Brendan Gray added 14 points to fuel Thetford’s win over Oxbow.
Dominic Chatot chipped in 10 points for Thetford (17-4), which pulled away after leading 34-27 at halftime.
Caleb Lafaille dialed up 24 points for Oxbow.
* (7) Randolph 50, (10) Winooski 35: Jacob Sprague had 22 points to lead Randolph to a win over Winooski.
Randolph jumped out to 25-9 halftime enroute to the win.
Levi West added eight points for Randolph (13-8).
Kevin Tham had 12 points for Winooski (11-10) while Austin Mayo chipped in 11.
* (8) Blue Mountain 64, (9) Proctor 42: Two players combined for 43 points to lift Blue Mountain over Proctor.
Kyle Farquharson had 22 points and 14 rebounds while Nick Gordon had 21 points for Blue Mountain (12-9). Damian Smith added 12 points.
Ryan Petrini and Jared Gintof each had 18 points for Proctor (10-11).