The following are teams in the Battle Creek Enquirer readership area, but not affiliated with a conference that is traditionally covered by the Enquirer.
Bronson will compete in the St. Joseph Valley league and is looking to build on a 5-4 season.
Tekonsha is playing 8-man football and competing in the Southern Michigan 8-Man Football league, which also includes St. Philip.
Albion, also traditionally in the Enquirer coverage area, saw its high school close and will not play this season.
* Head coach: Dan Burzynski (1st season)
* 2012 record: 5-4
* Top returners: Carlos Ortiz (sr., C/DL); Beau Murphy (sr., G/ILB), Scotty Wyant (sr., RB/DB); Skyler Riker (sr., G/T); Ryan Bailey (sr., TE/DL); Bernie Martinez (sr., T/DL); Kyle Roberts (so. FB/ILB); Kahle Scheenks (jr., RB/OSLB)
* Outlook: Bronson is in the four-team St. Joseph Valley league where only three games during the season have conference implications, so the Vikings have a diverse schedule. Bronson is coming off of back-to-back 5-4 seasons and is trying to get back to the playoffs for the first time since 2009.
With five returning starters on offense, Bronson will rely on some good experience that includes several players in the running game in Scott Wyant, Kahle Scheenks and Kyle Roberts as well as returning linemen Beau Murphy, Skyler Riker, Carlos Ortiz and Bernie Martinez.
“Our seniors are being counted upon to demonstrate leadership and set a positive tone in practice and games. The key to our season will be the development of our younger players, limiting turnovers and staying healthy,” Burzynski said.
* Head coach: Joe Wright (8th season)
* 2012 record: 1-8
* Top returners: Riley Lloyd (jr., QB), Justin Evans (sr., WR), Greg Fouty (sr., OL), Clayton Gretzner (sr., OL), Isaac Mead (so., WR/LB)
* Outlook: After making the playoffs for the first time in school history two seasons ago, a young Tekonsha team struggled last year to go 1-8. The Indians are in their third season in 8-man football and will look to be competitive in that division. Tekonsha is hoping to get good play out of a core group of returners, including quarterback Riley Lloyd, senior linemen Greg Fouty and Clayton Gretzner as well as skill position senior Justin Evans.
“With our younger players having a year under their belts, we look to be improved. However, we will still be very young with four sophomores and eight freshmen on the roster,” Wright said.