The Lakeview girls’ tennis team isn’t the official sponsor of the All-City girls’ tennis tournament.
But for the better part of two decades, the Spartans have owned the tournament.
Lakeview has won seven straight All-City tournament titles — as well as 22 in the past 23 years — and will try to continue its dominance in the event when the Division 2 eighth-ranked Spartans hit the courts at Battle Creek Central on Saturday.
The host Bearcats along with Harper Creek, Pennfield and St. Philip will try to end the Spartans’ All-City run, becoming the first team outside of Lakeview to win it since Pennfield in 2005.
Under head coach Mike McGinnis, Lakeview has only lost the All-City tournament once since 1992.
Prior to this season, McGinnis was named the United States Professional Tennis Association Midwest Division High School Coach of the Year. Last November, he was also selected as the Michigan High School Tennis Coaches Association (MHSTeCA) Coach of the Year for girls’ tennis.
McGinnis was also recently elected as president of the MHSTeCA after previously serving as the organization’s vice president.
Spartans shoot for decade of dominance at Bill Dolezal Invite
The Lakeview boys’ and girls’ track and field teams will look to keep the Bill Dolezal Spartan Invitational trophy in house on Friday.
The host Spartans will both enter the meet having won the title in each of the last nine seasons. It is set to begin at 4 p.m.
Area teams crack state rankings
While not many games/matches have been played due to weather, several area teams have been ranked among the top teams in the state, according to the latest polls released by their respective coaching associations:
* Boys’ golf: Lakeview is No. 1 in Division 1, according to the Michigan Interscholastic Golf Coaches Association rankings
* Girls’ soccer: Gull Lake is No. 5 in Division 2 and Marshall is No. 6 in Division 3, according to the Michigan High School Soccer Coaches Association rankings.
* Girls’ tennis: Lakeview is No. 8 in Division 2, according to the Michigan High School Tennis Coaches Association rankings
* Boys’ lacrosse: Lakeview is No. 12 and Pennfield is No. 20 among the top 25 teams across all divisions, according to laxpowercom.
* Baseball: Gull Lake is No. 15 in Division 2, according to the Michigan High School Baseball Coaches Association preseason poll