The holiday break is over and teams are back in full swing this week. Here are the sports staff’s top games of the week:
* TUESDAY: The first of many intra-city schools collide when the Rocky girls and boys basketball teams visit Fossil Ridge. The girls tipoff at 5:30 p.m. and the boys at 7 p.m. The girls game should prove to be the more competitive of the two as Rocky (5-3 overall, 1-0 Front Range League) are led by Anna Ernst’s 21.4 point per game. Fossil (6-2, 0-1 FRL) is led by Savannah Smith’s 12.4 points per game.
The Rocky boys are 2-6 (0-1 FRL) while Fossil is 6-2 (1-0 FRL).
The undefeated Class 2A Heritage Christian boys basketball team will face its toughest battle of the season when it travels to Class 3A Estes Park at 7:30 p.m. Heritage (6-0) is led by its seniors. Matthew McGinley averages 16.5 points per game for the Eagles to lead a balanced attack. Estes (5-2) is led by sophomore Isaak Cirone’s 23.4 points per game.
* WEDNESDAY: The Loveland boys basketball team (5-2) visits Fort Collins (3-4) in the Front Range League opener for both teams at 6:30 p.m. Loveland is led by Conor Lang’s 20.4 points per game. Collins counters with Ryan French’s 18 points per game.
* THURSDAY: Greeley West visits Rocky Mountain at 7 p.m. in a battle of two of the better wrestling teams in the FRL.
* FRIDAY: The Poudre girls and boys basketball teams visit crosstown rival Fort Collins at 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m, respectively.
The Impala girls (7-1, 1-0 FRL) are led by Myanne Hamm’s 12.4 points per game. Collins (5-3, 1-0 FRL) is led by Nicole Lang’s 11.5 and Kasey Dietrich’s 10.6 points per game.
On the boys’ side, Collins will try and slow down Poudre’s Luke Reed, the ninth-highest scorer in the state at 24 points per game. Poudre is 4-4 (0-1 FRL).
* SATURDAY: The Poudre wrestling team will host the Bob Drysdale Invitational all day Saturday. Fort Collins also will compete.