This week’s rankings:
1. Champlain Valley (7-0): The Redhawks’ solution to finding scoring following the graduation of Shane Haley? Present a balanced attack, an approach that has served coach TJ Mead’s teams in the past (exceptions: Haley in 2012, Mike Clayton in 2009). Through seven games, CVU has tallied at least four goals in four contests. Last week: 1.
2. Mount Mansfield (6-0): The speed up top is helping the Cougars find the back of the net. Defensively, goalie Kyle Adams and Co. pitched their fourth shutout of the season after Tuesday night’s win at BFA. And for those waiting for the MMU-CVU match – it’s slated for Oct. 11 in Hinesburg. Last week: 2.
3. Colchester (5-1): The Lakers have not given up more than one goal in a game, a showing that has led to a pair of shutouts, including Tuesday’s double-overtime victory over Essex, in another fast start to their season. Last week: 6.
4. St. Johnsbury (6-0): One of three unbeatens in Division I, the Hilltoppers own four shutouts on the season, including Tuesday’s 2-0 result vs. South Burlington. SJA’s unbeaten mark might be in doubt when it travels to Hinesburg on Friday afternoon. Last week: 8.
5. Burlington (4-3): With midfielder Vandame Ndayisenga sidelined with an injury, the Seahorses will need to rely on others to control the middle of the field. Saturday, their sturdy defense gets a tough assignment against a quick-striking MMU squad. Last week: 5.
6. South Burlington (4-3): After a rollicking 4-0 start, the Rebels are on a three-game skid where they have only scored two goals. They put in 20 goals in their first four games, three of which were against non-Division I schools. Last week: 3.
7. Mount Abraham (7-0): The Eagles are averaging more than four goals per game. Mount Abraham is also three wins shy of reaching double-digit wins, something it hasn’t done since 2006. Last week: 7.
8. Hartford (3-2): A loss to Mount Anthony in a Marble League Valley game drops the Hurricanes down in this week’s power rankings. Last week: 4.
9. Montpelier (4-1-1: A thrilling overtime win over rival U-32 vaults the Solons into the top 10 after a week on the bubble. Last week: On the bubble.
10. Stowe (4-2-1): The Raiders nearly defeated St. Johnsbury, blanked Peoples and put in six goals to roll over Thetford in the past week. Last week: On the bubble.
On the bubble: Woodstock (5-0), Mount Anthony (4-2)
To comment on this Varsity Insider blog post, visit: