No team dropped out of this week’s power rankings, but there was some movement (Rutland, CVU are climbing) within the top 10.
Continue the discussion in the comment section.
1. St. Johnsbury (13-0): The Hilltoppers scored at least 80 points in back-to-back games for the second time this season. Last ranking: 1.
2. Rice Memorial (10-1): Rice’s new-look offense is off to a good start. Last ranking: 2.
3. Vergennes (13-0): The well-oiled machine that is the 2012-2013 Commodores takes on Middlebury and Missisquoi, two interesting league contests, in their next two games. Last ranking: 3.
4. Rutland (9-4): The guard-strong Raiders have won five straight after a two-game slide. Last ranking: 5.
5. Mount Mansfield (8-3): The Cougars bounced back from a 19-point loss at Rice by rallying past Essex. Last ranking: 4.
6. Middlebury (11-2): The Tigers’ seven-game winning streak is on the line Friday night, with Vergennes coming to town. Goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: Big game for the Addison County fanbase. Last ranking: 6.
7. Champlain Valley (8-5): The Redhawks have won four straight. Their last loss? To Rice, when Casey Tipson’s 41 points outscored CVU’s team total. The rematch is tonight in Hinesburg. Last ranking: 10.
8. Essex (7-4): Losers of three of their last four games, the Hornets hope to bounce back against Burlington tonight. Last ranking: 7.
9. Williamstown (13-0): Jason Manwaring, who I featured last week on the boys basketball theme page, dropped 41 points Wednesday night. Last ranking: 8.
10. Lake Region (13-0): The Rangers’ unblemished record might be put to the test Tuesday when they play host to a red-hot Hazen squad. Last ranking: 9.
Dropped out: None.
Bubble team: Burr and Burton (11-2), Spaulding (8-5)
To comment on this Varsity Insider blog post, visit: