The City High softball team split a doubleheader against Dubuque Wahlert to open the season Tuesday at City High.
Little Hawk senior Erin Weno pitched a no-hitter with six strikeouts in the first game as City won 5-0. Ashley Duthie hit 4-for-4 for the Little Hawks and Bryn Hanrahan went 2-for-3 and scored two runs. Shelby Yoder also batted a run in for City.
“Erin Threw really well for us and we came up with some timely hits,” City coach Gary Fickel said.
The Little Hawks trailed early in the second game and lost 9-7. City was down 7-1 in the fourth inning but the rally fell short.
Grace Dixon went 3-for-4 and Mikayla Heath was 2-for-4 with two doubles. Yoder with 1-for-4 with an RBI.
“We dug ourselves into a hole early,” Fickel said. “We were in neutral, offensively.”
* DUBUQUE HEMPSTEAD 5-2, WEST HIGH 4-6: The Women of Troy opened the season with a doubleheader split in Dubuque.
Taylor Libby and Michaela Recker each hit 3-for-4 in the first game, and Erin Kallsen had a triple.
Paige Powers earned the win in the second game, Adara Opiola hit 3-for-3, and Lynn Jehle hit 2-for-4.
* MID-PRAIRIE 4, CLEAR CREEK AMANA 3: The Golden Hawks won in the seventh inning when Michelle Irwin led off with a bunt and rounded the bases to score on a throwing error in Wellman.
It was the season opener for both teams.
Mallory McArtor hit 2-for-2 with a double, triple, walk, two runs and two RBIs for Mid-Prairie. Felicia Schulte also doubled, and Taylor Kurtz earned the win in relief, giving up two hits with three strikeouts in two innings.
Molly Villhauer hit 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI for the Clippers, and Tara Walls hit 2-for-4 with a run.
* IMS 4, WACO 3: Iowa Mennonite School jumped out to an early lead and held off a rally by WACO to pick up the victory in Wayland.
Demi Brezina had three hits and Laura Hochstetler had two hits. Hochstetler and Jacayla Litwiller each had one RBI.
Hochstetler pitched the entire game with six hits and nine strikeouts.
* COLUMBUS 8, LONE TREE 1: The Lions struggled to find their rhythm in Lone Tree.
Sisters Avery and Morgyn Edwards combined for 10 strikeouts. and Madelyn Flemr hit 2-fofr-3 with a RBI.
“We had a lot of good things happen,” Lone Tree coach Tom Dickey said. “We just weren’t able to put together a good inning defensively or offensively.”
Lone Tree is 0-1.
* HIGHLAND 7, MEDIAPOLIS 2: The Huskies improved to 2-0 with the win in Letts.
Katie Springer earned the win with one walk, five hits and 11 strikeouts. Paige Wieland hit 2-for-4 with an RBI, Courtnee Hahn hit 2-for-4 with a double, Bailey Walsh hit 2-for-3, and Cheyann Adamson hit 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs.
* HIGHLAND 17, LOUISA-MUSCATINE 1 (5): Katie Springer earned the win for the Huskies in Letts, giving up one walk and one hit with nine strikeouts.
Highland had 15 hits. Morgan Craig hit 3-for-5 with three RBIs, Cheyann Adamson hit 2-for-5 with a double, three runs and five RBIs, Paige Wieland hit 2-for-4, and Bailey Walsh had a double and an RBI.