Yellowjackets sting Dragons in fourth

Yellowjackets sting Dragons in fourth


Yellowjackets sting Dragons in fourth


Benjamin Campbell orchestrated a frantic come-from-behind victory, hitting Darryl Chambers with a 21-yard touchdown pass with 22 seconds remaining as Newark defeated Glasgow 22-18 on Friday night in a Blue Hen Flight A game at Hoffman Memorial Stadium.

“It was so loud. I couldn’t hear anything,” Campbell said. “I screamed as loud as I could and just threw it up and he went and got it, and that’s all that counts.”

Campbell completed 5 of 15 pass attempts for 81 yards and also rushed for a touchdown but had managed just one completion for 4 yards until the Yellowjackets took over on their own 28 with less than two minutes to play.

“When your adrenaline is pumping I guess you don’t feel [the pressure] much,” Chambers said. “So we were all in a zone, I guess, and we got the plays executed to win the game.”

Newark (1-2, 1-1) players piled into their locker room in wild jubilation, having won for only the second time in as many seasons.

“I’m exhausted,” Newark coach Butch Simpson said. “I’m a 65-year-old man, and I love coaching football, but wow. That drains you pretty much. You’re thinking … we’re going to have the heartbreak of another tough loss. And to have something happen like that. I really like my guys. They’re good people and so I’m happy for them tonight.”

Glasgow (2-1, 1-1) quarterback Lammot Brown rushed for 172 yards and three touchdowns on 26 carries. But the Dragons were whistled for 136 yards on 14 penalties, two of which wiped out Brown touchdown runs.

Brown scored on runs of 17, 9 and 6 yards and the Dragons scored the first two touchdowns of the game, taking advantage of Newark mistakes. A 7-yard punt by the Jackets led to a 43-yard Glasgow drive and Brown’s 17-yard score midway through the first quarter. After a Newark three-and-out, a block in the back penalty on Glasgow’s punt return set the Dragons up with a first down on the Newark 15. Brown scored on a 9-yard run to push Glasgow’s lead to 12-0.

Newark responded on the following drive, highlighted by a pair of personal fouls against Glasgow and a 21-yard run by Chase Houck. Campbell scored on a 2-yard plunge and rushed for the two-point conversion, as well, to cut the Dragons lead to 12-8 early in the second quarter.

The score stood at halftime, despite a 15-play, 76-yard march by Glasgow that featured a pair of fourth-down conversions and a 62-yard Brown touchdown run negated by a penalty. The Dragons turned the ball over on downs after reaching the Newark 4-yard line.

“We knew we were at a disadvantage,” Simpson said. “We can’t match their speed. Somehow we just hung in there and made some plays.”

In the third quarter, Newark was unable to take advantage of a 7-yard Glasgow punt that gave the Jackets the ball at their own 48. They advanced to the Dragons 10-yard line, but turned it over on downs.

Glasgow took over at its own 11 and zipped 89 yards in six plays, with Brown scoring on a 6-yard run for an 18-8 lead.

Newark responded with an 11-play, 65-yard scoring drive assisted by another Glasgow personal foul and a penalty for pass interference. Austin Lockett scored on an 8-yard run to cut Glasgow’s lead to 18-14 with nine minutes remaining in the game.

Two plays later, Newark took over on its own 31 after Brown fumbled, but the Jackets lost seven yards and were forced to punt.

Glasgow began at the Newark 37, and a 20-yard Brown touchdown run was wiped out by yet another penalty before the Dragons turned the ball over on downs at the Newark 28.

Campbell and the Yellowjackets worked their magic from there.

“They have great speed in their defensive backfield,” Simpson said about Glasgow, “so we weren’t sure we’d be able to get our receivers free, so that’s why we came out trying to run the ball, control the clock, keep the ball out of their hands, that type of thing. None of that worked, so it was really just hang on and somehow find a way to win.”


More USA TODAY High School Sports