22nd District | Doss stuns Iroquois 87-84 with comeback

22nd District | Doss stuns Iroquois 87-84 with comeback


22nd District | Doss stuns Iroquois 87-84 with comeback


Just when it appeared the 22nd District boys’ basketball tournament might provide its first blowout, Doss High School put together a comeback they’ll be talking about for years on St. Andrews Church Road and beyond.

Trailing Iroquois by 17 points with 3:50 remaining, the Dragons used a barrage of 3-pointers to outscore their hosts 28-8 down the stretch and pull out an 87-84 victory in Wednesday’s district semifinals.

Nick Anderson, a sophomore reserve, sank three free throws with 1.7 seconds left for the winning points as his cousin — former Doss and University of Kentucky star Derek Anderson — watched from the stands.

Doss outscored Iroquois 37-24 in the fourth quarter.

“You can’t script anything like that,” Dragons coach K.C. Goodin said. “One shot went in and you make another shot … and you think, ‘This may just happen.’ But you never envision that.”

Terrell Gray had 27 points and 11 rebounds and Montrell Little added 16 points as Doss (20-7) — No. 12 in The Courier-Journal’s Litkenhous Ratings — advanced to face DeSales (20-8) in Friday’s 7:30 p.m. district final. Both Doss and DeSales have qualified for next week’s Sixth Region Tournament.

D.J. Little scored 19 points and Jalen Martin and Tevin Porter both added 18 for No. 14 Iroquois (20-8), which rallied from a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Butler 95-85 in overtime in Monday’s first-round game.

“It’s a classic case of playing not to lose instead of playing to win,” Raiders coach Jeff Morrow said of Wednesday’s late collapse. “I wish I could have stopped it. I should have done something different, but I don’t know what. … We just wanted the clock to run out, and unfortunately it didn’t run out fast enough.”

Martin’s 3-pointer gave Iroquois a 60-50 lead after three quarters, and Pierre Malitshanga nailed two free throws for a 76-59 advantage with 3:50 left.

But the Raiders committed turnovers on their next five possessions, and the Dragons pulled within 76-66 on a Dujuanta Weaver free throw with 2:29 remaining.

“Coach always tell us to never quit, never quit,” Gray said. “We just said that if we keep working and keep grinding and get one stop at a time, it will happen. We took it stop by stop and play by play.”

And 3-pointer by 3-pointer.

The Dragons hit six of them during the final run, including three by Dajon McCarley and two by Gray. With 1:02 left, Gray’s 3-pointer pulled Doss within 82-81. After an Iroquois turnover, Gray hit a free throw to tie the score at 82 with 53.6 seconds left.

After the teams traded two free throws, Anderson was fouled while attempting a 3-pointer from the left corner with 1.7 seconds left. He calmly sank all three free throws to make it 87-84.

“I just took my time and blanked everything out with the crowd,” said Anderson, who also hit a 3-pointer with 1:36 left to get Doss within 79-75. “I just had to knock them down.”

Goodin had no problem seeing Anderson at the line with the game hanging in the balance.

“I’ve told Nick, ‘Be ready. At some point you’re going to have to help and make some big plays,’ ” Goodin said. “I had no idea it would be tonight and no idea it would be that big of plays. But he was ready.”

The Raiders had a last-second shot to tie, but Little’s heave from about 60 feet banged off the backboard as time expired.

Afterward, Goodin admitted to having tears in his eyes while his team celebrated in the locker room. He also credited Iroquois.

“I feel for Coach Morrow and his players,” Goodin said. “They played their butts off. The last three minutes we just made some shots and made some plays.”


More USA TODAY High School Sports