LISBON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) – Spruce Mountain girls basketball coach Gavin Kane joined select company in Maine high school basketball history on Saturday as he collected his 500th career win.
His Phoenix beat Lisbon 61-34, improving to 17-0 on the season.
The road to 500 wins has come with multiple stops:
– His first 110 wins came with the Rangeley boys, where he started his coaching career back in 1985. His eight playoff appearances withe Lakers were highlights by the 1989 Class ‘D’ title.
– The next 263 were with the Dirigo girls, with him whom he won 11 straight Western Maine championships and six gold balls between 1994 and 2007.
– He then split time coaching the boys and girls before handling the boys team solely, finishing with 74 wins in that stretch.
– Kane then took his coaching prowess to the next level when he was an assistant for the UMaine women under legendary Lawrence player Cindy Blodgett for two seasons.
– And to his current stop Spruce Mountain, where he’s been the patriarch of the Phoenix program after the merger of Jay and Livermore Falls back in 2011. He had 36 wins with Spruce Mountain entering the season.
On the way to 500 wins, Kane has tasted defeated only 98 times as a high school head coach.
The win was just another reason for the legendary coach to celebrate. Saturday was also his birthday.